User

Default Optics Ready Handgun vs Custom Milled Slide

As the title states, I'm looking for the pros and cons of specifically purchasing a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS vs milling my current Glock 19 Gen 4 for a Red Dot Sight? The purpose is EDC, to be used with suppressor height BUIS. Another factor is that I'm based in Cape Town and the only gunsmith to my knowledge able to mill a slide for an optic is Jonker and Sons, I do have an alternative handgun should I need to get my slide milled.

User

Default Re: Optics Ready Handgun vs Custom Milled Slide

Milled is great if you can afford a top tier red dot and backup for it.
    The extra 2mm lower really helps getting the dot.
    MOS is okay as it allows more flexibility in changing dots at a later stage.

User

I think optics are a very good option and is a great win in almost all lighting conditions. I have a years worth of competition optics shooting on a G19MOS, this is what I have learned. Slide mounted optics die, Cheaper ones die sooner. You get what you pay for and if you are going to bet your life on it then get something that will work when you need it.

Optics gives you the advantage of a purely target focused sighting. This is great for a stressful situation as you can keep your eyes on the threat. However shooting with optics are different from shooting with irons. If you are committed to train with the gun until picking up the dot is subconscious in all positions (standing, leaning, bending, prone, etc) then go for it.

Other things to consider is things that can make you optic not work.
    One concern is if the lens is obscured, you cant see through the class due to the lens being dirty or covered somehow, in this case your backups won't work either. One reason would be dust/fluff that fell onto the lens in the carry position. Obviously blood or mud etc. as well. The dust may be removed sufficiently with the first shot to be able to use the optic thereafter although I do not like this idea.
    The other is when the emitter(LED) is covered/obscured. In this case you still have the BUS, but it will mess with your mind for a bit at that stage. This can be due to dust or a drop of something on the emitter lens. sometimes the fix is as simple as blowing on the emitter etc, but this is not something that i would want to do if I should be shooting.

I work in a rather dusty enviroment and the coupled with not being one to clean my gun every week/day I would go for something like an ACRO. They are not the prettiest and have a comparatively small window compared to sights like a Deltapoint or a SRO. but the front and back lenses can be wiped with your finger and the emitter is enclosed. They are also near indestructible.
    As for fitting. Cut for a specific optic will give the best/lowest mounting. MOS will give a lower mounting than a dovetail plate and still give you lots of options.

In short have 2 carry options. one with and another without and optic. Sometimes irons my be better.

User

Cutting the slide marries you to one specific mounting configuration. Which means it also marries prospective buyers to that configuration if you ever want to sell the gun.

There are other options of mounting a dot to the slide without milling it. The Toni Systems mounting plate, and Shield RDS with mounting system cones to mine. Raven also makes one, but the name escapes me now.

I'll be reluctant to commit to a specific dot at this stage. Every guy and his dog seems to be getting into the Red Dot game now, which means innovation is going forward. A couple of years ago you were basically limited to a Trijicon RMR for serious use. That is not the case anynore.

Something to keep in mind, is that while dots are way more robust than what they used to be, the can and do break. For whatever reason, your confidence in your chosen brand may wane. A milled slide will not help that situation.