Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Have you shot one?
    Just wait, probably carries one, 1-up, appendix...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Many Toks were recovered from caches during Ops Protea in 1981. All that I have seen were pre-1946, ie. WW2 and earlier. It's not generally known but Moscow made an agreement to supply the MPLA with small arms - so Moscow emptied their arsenals of all WW2 captured and obsolete USSR small arms incl. Moisin Nagants (91/30, M38 and M44), Mg34, K98, etc. LARGE quantities were captured during Ops Savanna. All the K98s went to Musgrave who built the actions into the Musgrave K98 hunting rifles.
    I have a 1978 dated Russian Makarov set (gun, holster and spare mag) that was carried on Ops by a 32Bn recce mate after he took it from someone who had no further use of it.
    To make up for my zero-contributary post above, I just want o say that this is some really cool info. Makes one wonder about the "real" history of all those Musgrave workhorse rifles!

User

Default Re: Soviet TT-33 "Tokarev"

Many Toks were recovered from caches during Ops Protea in 1981. All that I have seen were pre-1946, ie. WW2 and earlier. It's not generally known but Moscow made an agreement to supply the MPLA with small arms - so Moscow emptied their arsenals of all WW2 captured and obsolete USSR small arms incl. Moisin Nagants (91/30, M38 and M44), Mg34, K98, etc. LARGE quantities were captured during Ops Savanna. All the K98s went to Musgrave who built the actions into the Musgrave K98 hunting rifles.
    I have a 1978 dated Russian Makarov set (gun, holster and spare mag) that was carried on Ops by a 32Bn recce mate after he took it from someone who had no further use of it.
    Very interesting. I own a Musgrave k98L in 7x57, built on a Mod 1908/34 BRNO action.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Bit of a sideline to the thread but this is great info. Thanks Peter
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

No but I saw one at the military show in Polokwane yesterday, got a chance to hold it. Never shot one though.

User

Cheers! Smiled at the "...no further use of it".

User

Had one for a year and a bit, also from someone who ‘did not need it anymore’.

Saw a few Unita officers carrying them.

Fired mine on the range and shot a very sick cat with it, worked OK, never had any stoppages.
    The officers I knew also never used theirs in anger that I saw.

As an addition to a collection and shoot occasionally it can make sense.
    To use for any purpose where you need a handgun, not so much.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AngusK View Post
    Awesome pistol
    For?

User

Would like to add a TT-33 to my collection. Have a Type 54 though. Mine is reliable, accurate, reasonable trigger. Realoading for it is a bit of a pain, but can be done. I really like my Type 54 as a collector's piece. Makes for interesting conversation when taken to the range.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Had one for a year and a bit, also from someone who ‘did not need it anymore’.

Saw a few Unita officers carrying them.

Fired mine on the range and shot a very sick cat with it, worked OK, never had any stoppages.
    The officers I knew also never used theirs in anger that I saw.

As an addition to a collection and shoot occasionally it can make sense.
    To use for any purpose where you need a handgun, not so much.
    Cheers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast