Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Snapcap View Post
    The dogs are very very expensive and bloody well trained the handler blows that silent wistle just once from halfway up the mountain and the whole pack lay down instantly. Some intel we got from others with the same problem say one dog can easily fetch 15 - 20k
    This calls the whole idea of bushmeat poaching into question for me. We’re led to believe that these hunting dog poachers do what they do out of poverty and desperation, yet they run around with several hundred thousand rands’ worth of dogs? What’s the motivation, and who’s paying for them?

Or is this just another aspect of the war on property rights and private land ownership? Another way to make our farmers’ lives even more difficult.

User

Default Re: Amendment to (illegal) hunting dog laws?

As with all criminals, you do nothing about them and they get bolder.
    If there were 30 dogs I would shoot them all.

But, seeing as people are asking advice and advice can be dangerous, this is the year 2020, there are solutions.
    We install dashcams in our vehicles to document incidents, not so.
    If I saw a pack of dogs I would just record them with any good camera, something that shows time and date, and then shoot them if there are no people with them, then nobody could say I shot at humans even if they ran to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonpie View Post
    This calls the whole idea of bushmeat poaching into question for me. We’re led to believe that these hunting dog poachers do what they do out of poverty and desperation, yet they run around with several hundred thousand rands’ worth of dogs? What’s the motivation, and who’s paying for them?

Or is this just another aspect of the war on property rights and private land ownership? Another way to make our farmers’ lives even more difficult.
    Yes as I mentioned earlier in the post the main driver is money lots of it, from illegal gambling on what the hunt will nail next. Nothing to do with starvation, everything to do with scoring a big pay out. If your family is starving do you load 150k woth of specifically bread and well trained animals into a bakkie, drive a 150 km to the next town in a rural area at night, gain access to a protected wildlife zone by paying off rangers and staff then proceed with hunting using a silenced rifle of calibre enough to poach eland in a mountainous habitat. Sure as shit is costing that oke some money to do all this🤔

wont be long before the farmers start thinking posion

User

Get involved with your community police. Especially in the rural areas. It helps a lot. We have destroyed hundreds of pests 'poaching dogs' where we border the Ciskei without issue. But you need to have a good relationship with the station in your area. It goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Unless the dog is under some ones direct control (on a lead) the dogs are a direct and immediate threat to farm stock. Poaching dogs usually run ahead of handler and feral dogs do not have a handler, so the dog I see through scopes field of vision is usual a feral dog.
    Jissis boet. I'm glad I'm not hunting my dogs anywhere near you!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snapcap View Post
    The dogs are very very expensive and bloody well trained the handler blows that silent wistle just once from halfway up the mountain and the whole pack lay down instantly. Some intel we got from others with the same problem say one dog can easily fetch 15 - 20k
    This is a big suprise. I'm used to the Transkei specials, that when each dog is attached to home, they are ok, but the moment you decide to take one of them with you for a walk, the next one joins in and another. Suddenly you have 3 or 4 dogs with you and they think its a hunting trip, and then the next minute they see a goat or a pig and they go ape, chasing it down and ripping it to shreds.... then you have to try to explain to the goat owner what just happened.

I would agree, our humble rural African brak specials (Canis Africanus), also known as a Basenji is in fact a highly specialized African breed that is low maintenance and has incredible stamina and chase instinct, but I'm not convinced about the price tag. I've seen practically any dog with enough Africanus blood in it perform the task very well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3