Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Cheapest way to become a occasional sport shooter

Quote Originally Posted by GORBY View Post
    I foresee some problems with applying for pistols under occasional hunter. The practice of pistol hunting is not as common as some believe.
    Apologies I meant occasional sports shooter

User

Quote Originally Posted by Eastboy View Post
    Thanks for the very good advice. Makes sense to get just one extra handgun and focus on practicing with it and my defense gun. Cheers.
    I certainly want to shoot more, but have to take into account cost and time.
    Where are you based Eastboy?

Maybe let us know which area you are from and some forum members can guide you to ranges that have longer range times or are open on the weekends that may be able to accommodate with your scarce free time you need to practice.

It will help you de-stress more often... 😂

The OP asks what is the cheapest route to occasional sport but wants to own an AR15. Those two things are conflicting because you can't own an AR15 with occasional sport status, you can own one only with dedicated status. I also suspect that he doesn't mean the cheapest way to take part in occasional sport, he means what's the cheapest club or association ie the lowest cost additional to the purchase of his firearms. But I think of cheap as a package. It is possible to shoot without belonging to a club or paying visitor's fees if you have enough land or access to a farm, but for most of us it means club membership. That's the first basic cost. If you are happy with 38 Spl you can buy a decent revolver quite cheaply. A gun with a bit of heft and six inch barrel is the best choice. When I was looking I missed a nice K38 at Strand Guns for R2500. If you want one of those in good shape expect to pay more like R5000. I bought a four inch S&W Model 67 from Strand guns for less than R1500 because no-one wanted it. I would have preferred six inch but I'm content. Once fired brass can be bought for 70 cents. A second hand reloading kit can be put together without breaking the bank and you are good to go.

But I'm sure that's not what the OP means. I'm confused though, as to why he wants a compact pistol when he already has one as his SD piece. For range use a bigger heavier piece is more suitable, and my thinking is that if I can have only two handguns with occasional status I want a pistol and a rollie for variety, the SD pistol as compact as practical but the rollie with some size and heft. My two pieces don't fit that description because when I started in this game I had a lot to learn and bought a SS220 when I should have bought the slightly more compact 225. In those days compact Glocks, or any Glocks had not been invented. Consequently I have always carried a somewhat bulkier piece than ideal. Then when it came to buying a rollie I didn't have much cash to spare and had to content myself with a lighter piece than I would have preferred.

Anyhow, you get the picture, if you have to manage with a tight budget and two handguns are enough for your shooting needs, you can spare yourself the extra costs of dedicated status, and you can buy good used firearms without breaking the bank.

What you can't do is have more than two handguns plus two manually operated long guns, or semi auto rifles or shotguns. All depends what your needs are. Shooting isn't dirt cheap at any level, but those who are prepared to keep their needs modest can do it without breaking the bank.

Banned

Adding on to Dick's last paragraph. Play golf and the costs are also quite substantial.

with s16 you can also have more than 200 rounds per calibre. 200 sounds a lot if its a .375, but if you are going to buy a shotgun or .22, or even start shooting pistol more often you want to be able to buy and carry more ammo... specials on bulk are also great

to apply for dedicated status at NHSA its an additional R400 to the costs mentioned above. IMHO its worth it. once you have written your multiple choice test (online) you need to scan in a specific target you shot with a minimum score and presto... you have dedicated status. then to the point above you only need to maintain it...

when you apply for your next firearm just apply as a s16 on the saps271.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shaunhanekom View Post
    with s16 you can also have more than 200 rounds per calibre.
    With DSS.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

Well, you can't get a S16 without DSS.

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Well, you can't get a S16 without DSS.
    But you can have DSS without a S16 licence, allowing you to have more than 200 rounds per licence without having a S16 licence.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4