Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Firearm Renewals -- New Requirement in Annexure A to SAPS 518(a) form

Hi all,

I am in the process of renewing the licence for one of my pistols (under s.16, sport shooting) but have just noticed that the new Annexure A (which needs to be submitted along with the SAPS 518(a) form) has an additional box which we need to tick.

In short the box appears under point 5 on Page 3 thereof and states the following:

"I will carry the FA as prescribed in s.98(5)(a) of the FCA... and regulation 78 of the FCA Regulations 2004". The box which needs to be ticked as "yes / no".

Now where this gets interesting is because the above section and regulation reads as follows:--

s.98(5)(a)

Possession and use of firearms by Official Institution
    (5) Unless the permit referred to in subsection (2) indicates otherwise, the employee

must—
    (a) when on duty, carry any handgun under his or her control on his or her person
    in a prescribed holster;

Reg 78:

Carrying of handgun by employee of Official Institution in holster
    78. A holster contemplated in section 98(5)(a) of the Act must conform to the following requirements when the employee of the Official Institution is on duty and performs official duties:
    (a) In uniform, the firearm must be carried in a holster that is worn by or attached to his or her person and the make must be such that a safety-clip to lock in the firearm must be provided and such a holster may be exposed;
    (b) in mufti, the firearm must be carried in a holster that is worn by or attached to his or her person and the make must be such that a safety-clip to lock in the firearm must be provided and such a holster must be concealed.

I must say that it is really tricky to fill this in since my renewal and none of my licences are for weapons to be held on behalf of an institution. In addition, as far as I know, civilians do not need to comply with these requirements and are also not obliged to carry a pistol in a retention holster.

How do members think I should complete this so as to be most accurate?

Default Re: Firearm Renewals -- New Requirement in Annexure A to SAPS 518(a) form

Mark it as 'non applicable' perhaps ?

Default Re: Firearm Renewals -- New Requirement in Annexure A to SAPS 518(a) form

Eish! Official institution is defined in the FCA and we meet the definition, so I would check with my DFO first but probably put "N/A" but add in wording "s.98(5)(a) & Reg 78 not applicable to myself as a civilian" or similiar?

I would have selected yes. Meaning you agree with way to carry it and will comply. As your not an institution the next part where they explain about being in uniform will not apply to a normal person who is not an employee of institution as described.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I would have selected yes. Meaning you agree with way to carry it and will comply. As your not an institution the next part where they explain about being in uniform will not apply to a normal person who is not an employee of institution as described.
    But by ticking "yes" you are agreeing to always carry the FA in a holster with a "safety clip to retain the FA"... (ie. a level 2 or above retention holster).

This is clearly not what I (or most civilians) will actually be doing so would be a technical breach under oath.

User

I'm not sure I understand the problem. If you're not an employee of an Official Institution, surely you don't need to complete that section at all?

User

https://natshoot.co.za/firearm-licen...lication-forms

Use this link, found on the NHSA website. The Annexure A has a different declaration.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jiggajono View Post
    https://natshoot.co.za/firearm-licen...lication-forms

Use this link, found on the NHSA website. The Annexure A has a different declaration.
    Thanks bud. This makes a lot more sense for me as a civilian....

It is interesting to note that I received this Annexure A directly from our local DFO (who knows that I am a civilian)

FYI, for those who don't have access to the FCA, here is an extract of what s.84 thereof says:--

Carrying of firearm in public place
    84. (1) No person may carry a firearm in a public place unless the firearm is carried—
    (a) in the case of a handgun—
    (i) in a holster or similar holder designed, manufactured or adapted for the
    carrying of a handgun and attached to his or her person; or
    (ii) in a rucksack or similar holder; or
    (b) in the case of any other firearm, in a holder designed, manufactured or adapted
    for the carrying of the firearm.
    (2) A firearm contemplated in subsection (1) must be completely covered and the
    person carrying the firearm must be able to exercise effective control over such firearm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GK21 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the problem. If you're not an employee of an Official Institution, surely you don't need to complete that section at all?
    I think that the DFO's usually expect/require all sections to be completed. And besides, I received this Annexure A directly from our local DFO (who knows that I am a civilian)

User

It sounds like there could be (at least?) 2 different Annexure A forms and your DFO gave you the wrong one.

What is the exact wording of the heading?

Maybe post the form here for all of our education?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast