Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Default Re: Whisky appreciation thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    This thread made me procrastinate and break the seal on the Glenlivet Founders I got earlier the year.

Very interesting, very light/delicate little citrus zest, almost no nose and then boom you get some major caramel aftertaste.

Very low alcohol content so definitely recommend it for someone wanting their first neat whiskey; in fact I let it handwarm in a cognac glass on the last few sips to give it some oomphf
    Very nice stuff that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kouros View Post
    I definitely agree with You. It is one of the best whiskeys I've tasted to date, many of them much more expensive. Keep on going back to it and it tastes better every time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Interesting seeing as NAS's are usually shite. That and the reviews I've seen put the 12 year old way ahead of the Founders Reserve.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Been offered a lovely range of Whiskeys, lockdown has become expensive if you enjoy a half decent whiskey.
    I can’t help wondering do I buy a bottle or 3 at silly prices or do I just wait for level3 to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I do not believe we will be able to buy alcohol for the entire raised grant amounts time. I believe this alcohol ban is to stop the raised grants being used for alcohol. I believe that that is 90% of the ban, everything else adds up to 10% of ban.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Interesting seeing as NAS's are usually shite. That and the reviews I've seen put the 12 year old way ahead of the Founders Reserve.
    Not all is created equally... you do get amazing NAS stuff out there. Just as an example have a look at the Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and Port Charlotte, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and the The Douglas Laing and Compass Box blended Malts.

Banned

Had a good deal of Talisker Dark Storm last night at a mates place, I did not like the smell of it. The whiskey was brilliant though. Would like to know what others found in this whiskey as its likely the most expensive whiskey I have drank to date.
    After about a hr I remembered the smell association I was battling with - it was the memory of the wet timber beams in a burnt out house, after fire department did its work, the whiskey had that smell.
    It was dark at the fire last night, but today I read the label - "charred oak barrels", I did not like that so much.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Had a good deal of Talisker Dark Storm last night at a mates place, I did not like the smell of it. The whiskey was brilliant though. Would like to know what others found in this whiskey as its likely the most expensive whiskey I have drank to date.
    After about a hr I remembered the smell association I was battling with - it was the memory of the wet timber beams in a burnt out house, after fire department did its work, the whiskey had that smell.
    It was dark at the fire last night, but today I read the label - "charred oak barrels", I did not like that so much.
    I have not tried the dark storm yet but knowing Talisker the smell you are thinking of is most probably the peat.
    Different distillery's peat gives very different tastes to their whisky. Laphroaig to me is like a burning hospital very TCP forward, Ardbeg is a campfire type peat, Kilchoman is a grassy type peat and Lagavulin is like a wet leafy/mulch turf. Again taste and smells is subjective and the mentioned does not sound inviting but If peat is your thing the nuances it gives to whisky is amazing.

User

I'm relatively new and inexperienced with whisky and also a bit budget-restrained but I've got 1 mate in particular that has been very generous with introducing me to various whiskys.

I've realised that I like smoky, peaty whiskys and of those that I've tasted at my mate's place the standout one that I really liked was Laphroaig. I think it was the 10 year old which costs around R650-R700, but that's a bit steep for me and anything more expensive is completely out the question at present. The whisky in my price range that I currently enjoy is Chivas 12 year old - the normal one at around R350.

Any good suggestions as to what else I should try down here at the pond life end of the market? ;-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    It has a sherried, very smoky taste, somewhat sweet but not a classic Talisker IMHO. I had a bottle, but I won't be buying this again. The 57 degree North is a far better choice for their NAS's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HxC View Post
    Not all is created equally... you do get amazing NAS stuff out there. Just as an example have a look at the Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and Port Charlotte, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and the The Douglas Laing and Compass Box blended Malts.
    I've tasted all of those and of the lot, the Ardbeg is great; the rest not so much. While some of the NAS's are good, my experience has taught me that they're generally a stop gap. Of the whisky aficionado's that I know, not many are a fan of NAS's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    I'm relatively new and inexperienced with whisky and also a bit budget-restrained but I've got 1 mate in particular that has been very generous with introducing me to various whiskys.

I've realised that I like smoky, peaty whiskys and of those that I've tasted at my mate's place the standout one that I really liked was Laphroaig. I think it was the 10 year old which costs around R650-R700, but that's a bit steep for me and anything more expensive is completely out the question at present. The whisky in my price range that I currently enjoy is Chivas 12 year old - the normal one at around R350.

Any good suggestions as to what else I should try down here at the pond life end of the market? ;-)
    Caol Ila 12 yr old if you like Laphroaig, otherwise I'd personally recommend Talisker 10 yr old. Absolute magic for a Island malt.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast