User

Question .22 winchester 1906 model

I have bought and licensed a .22 short/ long and LR winchester 1906 model rifle ; i need to know what type of ammo -particularly long bullets it can take ; the owner sold me as well the bullets that he had in boxes of 50 ; the boxes show "standard velocity" ; now are these the only long bullets that the rifle can take ? what about the other velocities or types of bullets ? appreciate your feedback . Thanks.

User

Default Re: .22 winchester 1906 model

Any .22 rimfire ammo, with exception of the .22 Magnum, can be used.

User

Thank you !

Banned

Any .22 rimfire ammo, with exception of the .22 Magnum, can be used.
    As Peter said, if you buy it as .22 Long or short you can shoot it - standard, high, subsonic or even hyper sonic ammo.

Banned

How about a picture of that rifle for us .22 lovers

User

Will take pictures and post !... yes my love for the caliber comes from school days ; let me tell you that when I grew up in mozambique I spent many school holidays at Mapai rio ( village next to the limpopo river ) and my host and mentor allowed me to use his .22 BSA and .22 Remington rifles ( after "graduating with the diana 17 air rifle); those were the years between 1964 and 1975 ; I shot egyptian geese near the pools of the river ; I also shot pigeons and guinea fowl ; once 3 x guinea fowl near the pafuri village (moz side) after a herd of buffalo had just crossed the road (between Mapai and Pafuri-moz side) ; on that occasion I used one of the .22's - could have been the remington because it was semi automatic and I could just pull the trigger ; one night we went hunting for meat and i attempted to shoot an impala - that was with the permission of the admn and chefe de posto -because it was hunting for meat as it was very popular in mozambique those days ; I would ask permission and be granted - verbally as to what and quantity to be hunted for the pot ! Anyway I shot at that impala , hit it and it just froze and stopped long enough for another hunter in the back of the landrover (those short wheel base with the spare tyre on the bonnet) to dispatch it with a proper caliber rifle (can't remember what it was )!
    The most vivid outing with the 22 rifle was the day I went by bycicle with the game warden's son to the catholic mission nearby Mapai rio ; we cycled the almost +-11 km going pass toma de agua - the place where harry manners shot once 6 ellies for ivory ; at the mission we had lunch said our prayers and played along in the backyard of the building ; I had one of the 22 tied to the bycicle ; it got late and we had only a hand held torch which the game warden's son tied to the handle bar ;but we also had the light bulbs of the bycicles that were fed by a charger that one would connect to the rear tyre of the bycivcle ; we saw some eyes and realized that we could be in trouble - in a rash i drew the 22 and fired at the eyes -missed completely and it turned out to be a blackbacked jackal ! we were shaking like hell ; we got back to mapai and we got in big trouble for not being back during day light !
    Those were the days !

User

Here is a photo of the rifle ; now the ammo is all standard velocity ; what would you say is the best ammo available accuracy wise ? Rifle (2).jpg

Banned

Standard velocity and sub sonic ammunition is usually the most accurate, though some rifle have been known to shoot high velocity better, I assume these rifles have issues that the higher velocity somehow makes less prominent, I would also think the rifle would likely be a poorish shooter with either ammunition then.
    My .22 rifles all shoot anything very well and all group under an inch with high standard or sub sonic ammunition, with quite a few flyers. The flyers are due to my buying thousands of the cheapest ammunition I can find when it becomes available.
    The cost of the ammunition is usually a indicator of its grouping ability.
    When you get down to a good rifle with a good shooter the subs and standard will definitely shoot tighter and then the quality of the ammunition will also start to count. Me, standard or high velocity of any make is good enough, as long as its hollow point for hunting otherwise anything.

Two of my .22 rifles shoot a single 20/30 shot hole of about a cm x cm if I do the full bags and concentrate thing.

User

Thank you for the info and feedback!

Banned

I wrote last lines badly, sorry.
    Two of my .22 rifles shoot a single 20/30 shot hole of about a cm x cm if I do the full bags and concentrate thing. These would be the same under an inch rifles but using Ellie and Swartklip ammo at 50 M. Written to emphasis the role of ammunition quality.
    Oh and lastly, do keep in mind that a .22 like a pellet gun will have a diet preference. Since you cannot change load, bullet and jump etc. You change brand and make and weights till you find best suited for your .22, but usually quiet a few different makes etc will be good enough.