Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Warning - keep a shooting logbook

I have always been advised to "attach as much proof as possible" with applications, and I have never had a refusal, now I realise that CFR has become comfortable with everyone trying their asses off through all kinds of "proofs" that it has actually become a burden and a gamble to do your own motivation and handle your own application.

So I agree with Stevin, but unfortunately its probably too late and if we submit less paperwork than what they expect by now then we can in return expect another couple of months wait on appeals for our applications.

It should be as simple as "I want to shoot in CCP (IDPA) division and my G43 does not hold enough rounds, I bought a G48, thank you for the license" but noooo, it gets stretched and stretched and I have to end up paying anything between R500 - R1000 for a motivation for a firearm, I have done 2 section 16 applications by myself and I had no issues, though it does feel like a bigger gamble.

User

With regards to motivations

Does anyone honestly think that everyone submits this bucket load of motivational stuff?

The Madala from rural eastern cape, who doesn't have newspaper articles
    I've handed in an APP with one page.

I rate you could submit you app with a picture of Pamela Andersons knockers as the motivation and if it landed on the right desk, at the right time of day it would be stamped through.

There is NO constant at CFR

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    I have always been advised to "attach as much proof as possible" with applications, and I have never had a refusal, now I realise that CFR has become comfortable with everyone trying their asses off through all kinds of "proofs" that it has actually become a burden and a gamble to do your own motivation and handle your own application.

So I agree with Stevin, but unfortunately its probably too late and if we submit less paperwork than what they expect by now then we can in return expect another couple of months wait on appeals for our applications.

It should be as simple as "I want to shoot in CCP (IDPA) division and my G43 does not hold enough rounds, I bought a G48, thank you for the license" but noooo, it gets stretched and stretched and I have to end up paying anything between R500 - R1000 for a motivation for a firearm, I have done 2 section 16 applications by myself and I had no issues, though it does feel like a bigger gamble.
    It should be as simple as I have DSS with (insert association name here). Attached is endorsement from association confirming suitability of FA being applied for. And a short basic motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post

That's the problem though, we are all worried about stretching out the process / extra costs involved to take it further etc. I understand why though. We already wait an inordinately long amount of time for a license application, and / or the financial implications of taking it further are just not viable.

Every time this happens we draw our line in the sand a little further back, there will come a time when there is no more sand and our backs are right up against the wall. It's hard thing to get everyone to sing the same tune on simpler topics, let alone firearms. I must admit, at least from my perspective, a changing attitude towards CFR and standing up to their bullying. I think it has a lot to do with general dissatisfaction in SA, but it could prove to be the momentum needed, who knows.
    Last edited by Stevin; 04-03-2020 at 14:22. Reason: Spelling

User

I'magonna say Dick is primarily concerned in terms of occasional shooters.

Dedicated, through whatever association, the association vouches for you and klaar.

Occasional, not so much. Usetabe you could say "yes I'm an occasional shooter" and be taken on your word, these days not so much.

So keep records, but make SAPS work for their living, don't give them anything they don't strictly need, and for the love of cordite don't give them a phone book of an application because otherwise that becomes tomorrow's normal.

User

Here’s the thing, Brigadier J Bothma was of the view that 2 activities a year should be all that is required to maintain DSS and from 2020 this is what Natshoot requires. So how many activities should a occasional sports person or hunter log to motivate for their FA? And why is it even a requirement? We most certainly are our own worst enemies when we offer up these “solutions” that become a unofficial requirement by certain DFO’s.

Just yesterday I spoke to a guy that just finished his competency training and when he went to submit at DFO he was informed that she won’t accept anything less than 15 pages per FA as CFR won’t even look at it if less.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

If they want 15 pages per motivation, what is the prescribed font size? If made to be the size of speeches of former president Zuma my 2 page motivations would become 25 + pages about. Ridiculous made up "rules."

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    With regards to motivations

Does anyone honestly think that everyone submits this bucket load of motivational stuff?

The Madala from rural eastern cape, who doesn't have newspaper articles
    I've handed in an APP with one page.

I rate you could submit you app with a picture of Pamela Andersons knockers as the motivation and if it landed on the right desk, at the right time of day it would be stamped through.

Rural Eastern Cape does`nt have newspaper ? What do you think we use for toilet paper ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post

I like your analogy. It has merit ;-)

And I agree wholeheartedly that there is no constant. Elsewhere on the forum some years back I related my experience of being refused a rifle licence because I did not have shotgun or handgun competency (both of which I actually did have).......

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Here’s the thing, Brigadier J Bothma was of the view that 2 activities a year should be all that is required to maintain DSS and from 2020 this is what Natshoot requires. So how many activities should a occasional sports person or hunter log to motivate for their FA? And why is it even a requirement? We most certainly are our own worst enemies when we offer up these “solutions” that become a unofficial requirement by certain DFO’s.

Just yesterday I spoke to a guy that just finished his competency training and when he went to submit at DFO he was informed that she won’t accept anything less than 15 pages per FA as CFR won’t even look at it if less.

Small note. Those 2 activities at NHSA needs to be Competitions at a shooting range for Dedicated sport shooting. Just normal practice shoots or even RO duty at range does not count to maintain status.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast