Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Fly Fishing - Assistance required

Good day all

I am in the fortunate position to be getting married on the 3rd of May this year, then to be followed by a honeymoon in West Canada in the first two weeks of June.

The two of us are beginner bass anglers when the water is deep enough, we make an effort to try wherever we go, problem is, we are going to premium trout country and have never fly fished before

I refuse to go all the way to the Rockies and merely stare at the trout in the rivers and lakes!

We need to learn the basics of fly fishing ASAP.

I am looking for more than just a 45 min casting lesson on the grass outside Mavungana in Dullies, I would like to be taught about fly selection, casting techniques, tackle to be bought, etc.

I received a quote for a 1 day fishing charter in Dullstroom to try and learn the basics, the amount made my eyes water

Can anyone assist with details of training/guides or maybe someone willing to show us the ropes?

We are based in Pretoria, but are willing to travel if the opportunity arises.

Any leads would be great.

Thank you

Default Re: Fly Fishing - Assistance required

Mark Yelland is your man. Springbok flyfisherman and guides many groups on all things flyfishing. Have been on a couple of sessions with him and found it extremely informative. He is on Vleisbook if you want to look him up.

User

I would go to another forum for help
    https://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/

I'm just to far away for an easy lessons. It will be tough to learn all the ropes and get married in 2 months! Just keep in mind that fishing in the US/Canada will most likely include taking a local guide option. Which is also very expensive. Or you would just be wasting your time. There is a big difference between SA and the Rockies. Do as much of the basics here, casting practice being the most important. Worst case you can just drop a big woolly bugger and catch a massive steelhead

User

Have a look on Facebook for the group "trout talk". Post your questions there. The guys will point you in the right direction, very knowledgeable group. The members are both local and international so some guys might be able to give advice for the specific areas you'll be in.

Regarding gear, you can generally get all inclusive packages that include gear. But, if the bug bites, the gear is cheaper to buy there. A mate of mine got some great deals on good kit.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

There's a spot just outside of Pretoria that stocks trout in winter. Unfortunately your time lines aren't going to make it feasible. But it's a good spot to practice the basics while you're learning the ropes.
    And when all else fails, do as yellowfever suggests and throw on a woolly bugger, it's a common go-to fly.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

My suggestion, would be to go for the casting lessons here and get proficient in that. Getting your fly to where the fish are holding is important.
    Having a local guide on that side will get you more fish.

Not sure a SA guy will be too much help with patterns for BC.
    You need to look at what the fish are feeding on/prevalent in the area at the time and mimic that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RogersP View Post
    Mark Yelland is your man. Springbok flyfisherman and guides many groups on all things flyfishing. Have been on a couple of sessions with him and found it extremely informative. He is on Vleisbook if you want to look him up.
    The above info is correct, however, if Mark is not available contact Terence Babich.

As mentioned in another reply, post on trout talk on Facebook. You will get a lots of info. You will probably find some guys that will let you tag along at no charge.

User

Brookwood trout farm in kromdraai stocks well and is a excellent beginners trout fishing hangout. Your challenge will be, there are so many different techniques for different environments it wil be impossible to know what to learn. Learn to cast and go to a stocked dam a couple of times for the basics and get the rest of the info when you are there. When you are at a stocked farm dont be shy to ask people for advice trout fisherman are much like the shooting community allways ready to help and teach.

https://www.brookwoodtroutfarm.co.za/

If you do go there white cats whiskers are the fo to fly there

User

Speak to Daniel 0826989088 if he cannot assist he might put you in contact with someone, Say you got his number from Charl

Evening.
    Do yourself a favour.
    Google madriver outfitters on youtube.
    Its free and the advise is solid and comprehensive.
    MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast