Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Need Help Removing Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Try CHS Guns in Somerset West

+27832525097
    Thanks, checked their website and nothing, sent an e-mail to double check.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Make sure to ask to speak to Ayesha.
    One day she'll get hold of you in person....

... in the interim I'm not telling her we're related!

Its not true that steel wool leaves scratches or that Pick N Pay steel wool is not OK. Epsilon has it exactly right - steel wool and light oil (any gun oil). It won't remove deep pitted rust but it will clean light surface rust. As an amateur turned pro gunsmith I cleaned light rust off some expensive firearms with Pick N Pay or Checkers steel wool and gun oil. Doesn't matter whether the steel wool is the loose stuff or those little rolls. You don't need much - a piece half the size of your thumb is ample, with a coupla drops of oil. Rub lightly and see how you go, and increase pressure as necessary. Sometimes simple things work well and this is one of them.

User

Opa taught me to remove surface rust with a small piece of balsa wood with gun oil. Any very soft wood would work. Put some oil on the rust and the end of the wood and rub with medium light pressure stopping to clean off the oil and rust to see if you need to keep at it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Sure, but there are a hundred opinions out there, so you don't know exactly where to turn, some have said that even 0000 steel wool will still damage the finish, so when someone says they have been doing it for 30 years and it doesn't remove the bluing well you might just put some stock in that opinion.

Anyway, I've decided to go with Ballistol (leave it to sit on the rusted area for a while) and then try a gentle rub with 0000 steel wool and also try a bronze brush if need be.
    If it's any comfort to you, the person that taught me the Ballistol and 0000 steel wool from Hardware Centre trick was the late Mark Harrison. That should give it enough credibility.

User

If you are still looking for rust remover, definitely try Evaporust (available at Builders)
    I have been restoring a motorbike and rusted bolts left in the solution over night are 100% rust free the next day!
    Light oil afterwards and good o go.
    Great product

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockForce View Post
    If you are still looking for rust remover, definitely try Evaporust (available at Builders)
    I have been restoring a motorbike and rusted bolts left in the solution over night are 100% rust free the next day!
    Great product
    Just be careful with evaporust as it removes any other oxide finish like (I think) bluing.it is a great product though. For the record you can buy it at half the price as builders through protea chemicals.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockForce View Post
    Great product
    It was something I was considering but then was told that it removes everything including the bluing! So fine for dies and so on but not if you want to keep a nice finish.

User

So used Ballistol and 0000 steel wool on my shotty and the rust came off after a bit of rubbing! I bought it secondhand and only saw now that there was a bit of damage to the barrel and they touched it up with something, not sure what though, could've been paint. Need to find a solution to touch it up myself.

Anyway we tried removing the rust from someone else's gun as well with the same method but with no luck, the rust was quite thick and it seems will need to use a more harsher method.

Anyone got any tips for touching up a firearm's metal once it has been exposed. One of the methods I came across is Brownell's Oxpho-Blue, anything else that anyone has found useful through experience over the years (as a google search didn't find any Oxpho-Blue available in South Africa)?

Note, this is not an expensive gun and it is not expected to look perfect thereafter. Just looking for something that will cover the spot and at a quick glance won't be noticed.

User

Try the copper coin method for the harder rust.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4