Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gun shop requirements to assist with renewal of firearm license and competency

Hi All

Hope all is well. I am in the process of performing my first renewal of my firearm license and competency through a firearm shop. But I am concerned about the requirements for the motivation. Is the below requirements to assist with the motivation standard protocol? When I did my application 5 years ago I don't remember supplying such detail however that was in Jhb and I have since relocated to Dbn so I am wondering if requirements has changed. Any advise will be much appreciated. Here is the list of requirements below besides all the usual stuff like copies of id's character references etc.

-photos of pvt motor vehicle showing number plates, license disk and drivers license.
    -copy of motor vehicle logbook or insurance documents if bank owned
    -photos of pvt residence showing all security measures burglar bars cctv etc
    -daily route to work and back
    -any other regular travels, dropping kids off at school, gym etc

Thanks in advance for your time and help

User

Default Re: Gun shop requirements to assist with renewal of firearm license and competency

I don't think any of that stuff is relevant to firearm licences or competency............

User

Default Re: Gun shop requirements to assist with renewal of firearm license and competency

A bit of overshare on info requested. But the base would probably be saying : I travel alot and then the above is all info to prove that you travel. They have your home address, I wouldn’t give any of the above info, closest is school name and distance from home and office location and distance.

User

Daren, somebody is yanking your chain.
    Go to the local DFO in you area and ask what they require.

User

Seems like the renewal is for section 13 license. Most of the required info is probably to motivate how dangerous it is to drive unarmed. The author probably has a form that pulls in crime stats for different areas. Plus proof that the house has been made as secure as reasonable.

Not sure about the motor details though.

User

I have read somewhere on GS that a renewal is as simple as stating that your circumstances have not changed from the original application and that is sufficient.

Why would they require any of the info asked for in the OP? What is the relevance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Gun shops do need to do some work to justify their pricing with regards to motivations. It is the gunshop doing the renewal motivation, not info required by the dfo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    I have read somewhere on GS that a renewal is as simple as stating that your circumstances have not changed from the original application and that is sufficient. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is usually correct and sufficient - except the poster here has moved house since his initial application, so he can't go with that original motivation.

Deren ,any possibility of renewing under Section 15 instead? Do you have evidence of regular/ occasional shooting activities that you can submit, or anyone in your new town who is willing to sign an affidavit that you shoot occasionally ?

My concern in your circumstances is that you'll have to back up everything you say in a S13 app -
    "I own a house that I want to protect" -" "Really? prove it!" they'll say. "show us your bond papers"
    "I own my own business and work irregular hours" - "Really? prove it!" "show us evidence"

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    That is usually correct and sufficient - except the poster here has moved house since his initial application, so he can't go with that original motivation.

Deren ,any possibility of renewing under Section 15 instead? Do you have evidence of regular/ occasional shooting activities that you can submit, or anyone in your new town who is willing to sign an affidavit that you shoot occasionally ?

My concern in your circumstances is that you'll have to back up everything you say in a S13 app -
    "I own a house that I want to protect" -" "Really? prove it!" they'll say. "show us your bond papers"
    "I own my own business and work irregular hours" - "Really? prove it!" "show us evidence"
    Can’t see why the circumstances changed due to the move from one place to another. We live in a dangerous country whether we are in Gauteng or Khayelitsha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Can’t see why the circumstances changed due to the move from one place to another. We live in a dangerous country whether we are in Gauteng or Khayelitsha.
    When one states 'my circumstances haven't changed', the details contained within the original app (a sworn statement, mind you) still apply -
    The original application would have stated his address as being somewhere in JHB, now his address will state somewhere in Durbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast