Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    User

Default Re: Best self defense ammo for a glock

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury1 View Post
    Could you send me a picture of one of your rounds just to see where you put the dot please dont want any issues

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Example.Attachment 31569

User

My process is to simply shoot out the top two carry rounds every 3-4 months.

My thinking is that the top two rounds are those that I chamber and re-chamber and thus those which will suffer from those issues described above in this thread.

This process works for me and I have had zero, niks, none, nada failures at any time when shooting out any of my re-chambered and retired rounds.

FYI, I tend to carry Winchester Ranger T-Series in the 124gr +P, +P+ and the 147gr, all of which are, IMHO and based on professional reviews and FBI testing results, excellent carry rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Why all this fuss with setback?

Change when it is obvious, but don’t stress over every quarter millimeter.

A millimeter in COL has produced an increase of only 2 power factor where I have tested personally.

There are lots of tests where people create extreme setback with no issues.

If it looks much shorter than the other ones please do separate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Why all this fuss with setback?

Change when it is obvious, but don’t stress over every quarter millimeter.

A millimeter in COL has produced an increase of only 2 power factor where I have tested personally.

There are lots of tests where people create extreme setback with no issues.

If it looks much shorter than the other ones please do separate them.
    Will the round still fire if it smaller?

I'd like to test this small round from my chamber to see it will actually shoot

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury1 View Post
    Will the round still fire if it smaller?

I'd like to test this small round from my chamber to see it will actually shoot

Why would it not fire? The setback wont stop the primer from igniting.

As long as the case fits then it should work.

The key is to avoid turning your gun into a hand grenade. A shorter round will have higher pressure. But not enough from a small amount of setback.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Why would it not fire? The setback wont stop the primer from igniting.

As long as the case fits then it should work.

The key is to avoid turning your gun into a hand grenade. A shorter round will have higher pressure. But not enough from a small amount of setback.
    As always it is better to err on the side of caution.

With most normal pressure 9mm ammo, a little setback is of no significance. However, if we go to the +P and +P+ loads, we are already above normal CIP and SAAMI pressure limits. Then we get some setback and the pressure rises some more. How much does it go up? Actually we can't know how much, only that it does go up.

I would tend to agree that any setback under 0,5mm is insignificant, but there are always exceptions to the rule. For example, some 40S&W loads are loaded close to the pressure limit. Setback with these will cause a bigger case volume reduction, as the cross-sectional area of the case is larger than on a 9mm and the 40 already has a case volume deficiency. And any further reduction makes this worse. The 40 also has a relatively weak case head, so it will likely rupture at a lower pressure than a 9mm.

We should not generalise too much about this critical safety issue. Not all ammo can accomodate the same amount of setback safely.

Most of us were issued with 2 eyes and 10 fingers. No spares available...

User

Default Best self defense ammo for a glock

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    As always it is better to err on the side of caution.

With most normal pressure 9mm ammo, a little setback is of no significance. However, if we go to the +P and +P+ loads, we are already above normal CIP and SAAMI pressure limits. Then we get some setback and the pressure rises some more. How much does it go up? Actually we can't know how much, only that it does go up.

I would tend to agree that any setback under 0,5mm is insignificant, but there are always exceptions to the rule. For example, some 40S&W loads are loaded close to the pressure limit. Setback with these will cause a bigger case volume reduction, as the cross-sectional area of the case is larger than on a 9mm and the 40 already has a case volume deficiency. And any further reduction makes this worse. The 40 also has a relatively weak case head, so it will likely rupture at a lower pressure than a 9mm.

We should not generalise too much about this critical safety issue. Not all ammo can accomodate the same amount of setback safely.

Most of us were issued with 2 eyes and 10 fingers. No spares available...
    Sorry sir. Please read the last sentence of post #83.

I would probably be more worried about the primer compound being shaken and stirred too much due to loading and reloading.

Just to be clear.

1. Do change the round being chambered out if visibly shorter.
    2. Do change your carry ammo regularly. I am lucky, I tend to get some for my birthday every year. Best bday gift ever.

I have started doing the Fast Drill every odd month with my carry ammo stock. Nice practice with self defence ammo and its a way to cycle through about 50 of them every year.
    Last edited by Grobbie; 22-03-2020 at 08:46.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9