Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best self defense ammo for a glock

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury1 View Post
    Steven noob question

Can you explain to me the difference between the gran example 127grain and 147grain

Which has less recoil?
    Which has a higher velocity

Also
    Is is true that hollowpoints wont penetrate through anything example a tyre, glass

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

The 127 Grain come in a +P+ Load, thats double the recommended pressure for 9mmP, your Glock 19 will run them fine, I fint that in my G43 AND G34, thats long and short barrels they tend to make the gun jump and more difficult to control (follow up) than the 147 Grain because the 147 Grain is not a +P or +P+ load.

The 127 should penetrate less deep than the 147 but they say the 127 will expand more.

Personally, id say start with the 147, they good.

Modern hollow points are "barrier blind", they penetrate through clothing, car doors, glass ect WITHOUT expanding, they only expand when penetrating Ballistics Gel, or a human in a self defense case.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Winchester ranger T's are the cheapest good SD ammo, buy 100, shoot out 50 with all the mags which you intend to carry. Keep 50 for carry.

I carry 147 Gn Win Ranger T'S
    This is good advice.

I carry 127 Gn Win Ranger T's but will be changing to the 147's when I have extra cash to test it in my G19.

Winchester Rangers are priced at around R600.00 for a box of 50.

User

Ok excellent.

I've been advised my numerous people not to use reloads in my glock. Snb is well priced.

In terms of self defence ammo what is the best of the best (ferrari) on the market in south Africa?

Better tell the hundreds of sport shooters to stop using reloads in their Glocks then??

Oh and the Ferarri of SD ammo is Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty, I have never even fired them because I like to have money left to eat for the month....

Look at the lucky Gunner link that Matu posted, very usefull stuff

User

Default Best self defense ammo for a glock

Steven noob question

Can you explain to me the difference between the gran example 127grain and 147grain

Which has less recoil?
    Which has a higher velocity

Also
    Is is true that hollowpoints wont penetrate through anything example a tyre, glass

127gn is lighter with higher velocity and more felt recoil. 147gn is heavier, slower and less felt recoil. In the Ranger T series the performance is similar with regards to penetration, expansion and weight retention. The reduced recoil tips it in the favor of the 147gn for me. Also less wear on your pistol

I carry 147gn Rangers in my G19.

Modern SD ammo is designed and tested to be barrier blind. Shooting through windscreens ect would not be a problem. Tires on the other hand would stop just about any handgun round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

All gun makers advise against the use of reloads in their products. That is simply because they have zero control over your reloading practises and safety.

Most sport shooters shoot thousands of reloads using cast lead and CMJ bullets through their Glocks and other pistols.

Reloads are generally not recommended for SD.

Normal max pressure specs for 9mmP is around 35 000 psi. +P is around 42 000 psi. +P+ is not specified, but generally falls within 42 000 psi, but the slide velocity (=recoil) exceeds the industry norms. This will cause extra wear on any gin and may indeed damage a weak pistol. Your Glock will not likely notice any difference if you shoot affordable amounts of +P+ carry ammo through it.

My favourite EDC load is the Win Ranger T 127gn +P+ load. The others are not bad either.

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post

This is a really useful and interesting comparison chart. Thanks for this DavidC!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    The 127 Grain come in a +P+ Load, thats double the recommended pressure for 9mmP, your Glock 19 will run them fine, I fint that in my G43 AND G34, thats long and short barrels they tend to make the gun jump and more difficult to control (follow up) than the 147 Grain because the 147 Grain is not a +P or +P+ load.
    Please help me understand why the pressure spec is so low, if you are able to fire rounds that are "double the recommended pressure for 9mmP"?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Please help me understand why the pressure spec is so low, if you are able to fire rounds that are "double the recommended pressure for 9mmP"?
    SHIT I only re-read my post now, I didnt mean to type "double" but I meant to type "Higher", my mistake.

So winchester are still making ammo that could be accused of discrimination like the Black Tallons ? 😨

Modern hollow points are "barrier blind", they penetrate through clothing, car doors, glass ect WITHOUT expanding, they only expand when penetrating Ballistics Gel, or a human in a self defense case.[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast