Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    No difference, to be honest. It's not like I'm open-mouth kissing my butcher when I see him. The buck doesn't carry Corona. I'm pretty damn clean when I handle the meat - as is my butcher. Besides, I do intend on cooking the meat before I eat it, and I do practice clean principles when cooking (like not mixing raw and cooked foods, etc.).
    You come into contact with the farmer, the trackers, the skinners, who in turn get into contact with their families. It's not just about you getting sick, it's about you potentially spreading the virus.

User

Default Re: Corona cancellations of hunting trips

My PH friend that usually assist with international hunts, mentioned they had some cancellations for April and beginning of May.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

The Outfitter I hunt for has had about 40% of the clients postpone till 2021.
    Now the travel ban has potentially ended the season after a few hunts. He keeps a lot of staff around the Lodge for Cooking and cleaning, and naturally the Trackers.

He will have let some of them go if the Travel ban continues
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    You come into contact with the farmer, the trackers, the skinners, who in turn get into contact with their families. It's not just about you getting sick, it's about you potentially spreading the virus.
    Totally true. I also come in contact with everyone in the shop I was at earlier today. The people I pass when I walk my dogs. The guys begging by my window at the traffic light. The person I have to hand cash (and receive change from) at the toll gate. Trying to avoid everyone is impossible.

My point is that you're at no bigger risk to give or get COVID-19 when you spend a week in the bush than you are when you're doing your normal thing at home, so why cancel? In fact, I'm willing to bet the largely isolated nature of walk-and-stalk hunting (specially my method - I prefer to spend most of the day completely alone, as far from other people as possible) means the chances of transmission is a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    This.
    A lot people still don't understand exponential spread, ask the Italians. They went from "this isn't so bad" to health care system collapse in 2 weeks. Its not about guys like me with decent employment, benefits, good health etc. It's about collective action and protecting the vulnerable who are not in a position with good infrastructure, who lack resources, have poor health etc.

We just had to cancel our SA trip next month and bird hunt in May. The outfitter has been great and we will certainly hunt with them when we reschedule.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    A lot of cancellations will be due to travel bans in place.
    Might be that we local chaps will pick up some cheap hunts

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    Might be that we local chaps will pick up some cheap hunts
    That would be nice!

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Yes. Outfitters are hit hard by cancellations, and not only hunting outfitters. The "Safari" ones also (Photo Safari's etc). Local hunters are also cancelling.

Myself am not cancelling at this stage. Hunt booked for mid June. Still a lot of water to run into the sea by then. Deposit in any case already paid. Planning for a lekker vet Eland cow for biltong and wors and junior would like a full horned Impala.

User

Same, so far two trips planned, one in June, one in July. I have a date with a grey ghost. Kind of fortunate that the June trip will be with a doctor friend, so we're in good hands, so to speak.

User

We had a planed event with a farmer from Prieska. His concerns were, travelling was taking the virus back to a fairly isolated area and then the biggest one they do not have HOSPITALS in town.

Also what is the issue with fresh meat and COVID-19? I see mention of people saying cook the meat properly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast