User

Default Interesting Cartridges.

I was shown two interesting cartridges while visiting a gun shop in Jacksonville NC recently.

The .22 TCM, which is based on a shortened .223 case, and the .350 Legend, also based on a .223 case.

The .350 Legend came about as some American states recently passed a law that allow straight walled rifle cartridges (with certain other restrictions on length etc.) to be used for hunting deer and bear in areas that previously only allowed shotguns. It is chambered in both bolt action and AR type rifles. I doubt if we will ever see this one in SA, it might be a useful cartridge for local hunters who want to hunt with AR 15 type rifles where legal. Bushpig, maybe?

The .22 TCM is chambered in Rock Island Armory bolt action rifles and 1911 type pistols made by the same company. I believe that a conversion kit for Glock pistols are also available. I am not really sure what this cartridge is intended for. In a rifle it could be seen as a modern alternative for the .22 Hornet, I guess.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photos.

User

Default Re: Interesting Cartridges.

That 350 Legend looks amazing!

User

Any ballistic information on that 350 legend?

I can see bullet weight, but what is the mv. what bullets does it use BC etc?

User

The 350 Legend seems to perform well with cast bullets. It uses a .357" bullet, so there are many options available. Reloaders who cast their own seem to love it in the states. Basically a 9mm Super Mag that fits in an AR15 mag.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

That’s quite cool.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    Any ballistic information on that 350 legend?

I can see bullet weight, but what is the mv. what bullets does it use BC etc?
    150gr @ 2350fps - BC .223
    180gr @ 2100fps - BC .221

https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_350_legend.html

User

Looks like the TCM is similar to the Five-seven with a slightly higher case capacity. Suitable for rifle and pistol. At least the TCM can be reloaded without problems. Having a rifle and pistol using the same ammo does have its advantages.

According to various sources on the internet, the Five-seven has a true straight-wall case that needed a special proprietary case coating to be able to extract from the firearm. If the coating was too damaged (tumbling, sonic cleaning), the cases were useless and had to be replaced.