Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Trapping bush pigs??

Good day, I am wanting to know if it is legal to trap bush pig and if it is, has anybody had any success.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Trapping bush pigs??

I am not sure of the legality of trapping Bushpig in KZN,you would have to read your provincial hunting rules and regs on that one.
    Considering their secretive nature and nocturnal awareness they are surprisingly easy to trap IF done correctly from the start.

Agree with the recommendation to read the Provincial regulations or contact you local hunting assoc. In Limpopo it is illegal to trap any animal unless you obtain a permit.

User

It has been done before. One farmer that I know of, trapped a sounder in a water tank, wiped out the males, and introduced some domestic boars, and made a cross. I guess he was trying to make bacon with a bit of attitude.

User

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    Agree with the recommendation to read the Provincial regulations or contact you local hunting assoc. In Limpopo it is illegal to trap any animal unless you obtain a permit.
    IIRC this applies only to GAME animals. Bushpig are unclassified in Limpopo, meaning that the regulations generally don't apply to them. But just check first, I may be wrong.

I.t.o. KZN Ordance bushpig falls under Unprotected Wildlife and requires no license or permit to hunt and general regulations governing the hunting of game do not apply to them.

Under hunting methods traps, nets, snares, explosives and poisons may not be used to hunt game.

So as they are not game the above methods do not apply and thus I think you can trapped them.

User

Thank You for the information. I got hold of the hunting Proc for KZN, It did say that I am able to trap unprotected animals that are destructive to crops, and as long as they are the trap does not harm any Game animals. Thank Yo again for the assistance i will keep you apprised of how it all turns out.

User

Explosives... now that's a thought for Canada :) Could anybody ... oh whatever, I'll fooffle it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    It has been done before. One farmer that I know of, trapped a sounder in a water tank, wiped out the males, and introduced some domestic boars, and made a cross. I guess he was trying to make bacon with a bit of attitude.
    Side note, I was fly fishing at the Thrift dam -Witte Berg mountain area few years back and a weird looking pig came down to the water. I exaggerate I know, but ****** me it, it must have weighed a ton, it was huuuge!

A ugly thing indeed, pink and black with long hair. I have heard of cross breeds surviving in the bush, but did not think that they would survive at that size.

Does anyone have info on these cross breeds in regard to size, life span and reproduction?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Trapping of Bushpig is one thing that I have never tried. Pre64, please enlighten me on the correct process. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

The best success I have with trapping bushpig is to leave the gate open of a fenced pivot full of some crop or in the winter plant a part with Ryegrass or Triticale or the like. When they start to feed I know where they are entering - through the gate. So on moonlit nights get comfortable with a good scope, binoculars, flat shooting rifle with a silencer to confuse them to not pinpoint the direction of the shot (difficult to judge distance in the dark, thus flat shooter), warm clothes and downwind of the gate. When they come in, wait for a few to be inside and far from the gate and then pick them off. After shooting, just hold your position. Observe and wait for the next shot. Best done for one evening like this was 4 pigs.

We have also closed the gate behind them when inside and then used a spotlight and bakkie. They run next to the fence (the fence are pig proof) and when they stand you hit them.

I would really like to try trapping them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast