Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: My GLOCK 17 RTF2

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Quick question, if I were to buy back ups for my Glock 19 Gen 4, what should I ask the guy behind the counter for. I mean everything that might fail over time, what should I be getting now just in case stock becomes scarce for whatever reason in the future.

Would gun stores even have all the bits and pieces, or would I need to go through the distributor here in SA?
    This is a nice spring set.

https://www.thequartermaster.co.za/g...Glock%20spares

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Ah nice, except that is for G17, but they have G19 sets as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Ah nice, except that is for G17, but they have G19 sets as well.
    Sorry. Glad they do have.

I am lucky. My 17 and 34 use the same springs.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Care to expand on this ?
    Trigger return spring albeit improved on later version can break at the end. Granted infrequently but it is a stress point if you look at it.. The slide lock spring has also been known to fail, possibly from damage during disassembly.Weak being a relative term but even on a Bic pen the coil spring is not ever known to fail.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

The bic is an extremely low stressed spring. Chuck it out as an analogy.
    Saying that Glock springs are a weak point is unacceptable to me.

It is wise and good habit that certain springs if removed should be replaced with a new one.

There was a test done by a some chaps in the US. Two identical Glocks ran a high round count alongside each other. One Glock was cleaned only the basic field strip. The other was detailed stripped each time.

Guess which one ran the most rounds trouble free?

This side by side test validated my opinion that when some says their Glock failed it is more that likely their fiddling that caused the problem.

I posted this not to bring in torture tests and rented guns but medium use by an owner that won't unnecessarily fiddle or deliberately damage their Glock.

I have a few early Glocks all stock which run reliably and there's nothing wrong with those early springs .

I dislike the gen 4 as I think it's the crappiest of all gens. Made to spec by accountants not engineers.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Agreed 100% the fiddling is a major cause for failure. Also agree 100% that with reasonable use the springs are unlikely to fail. The inescapable fact remains however that albeit very rare those two springs can fail. That Glock saw fit to alter the design when bidding for the US military contract is telling. I concede that my use of the word weak may perhaps come across as a bit critical but it must be placed in the context of the glocks many excellent attributes.

User

I dislike the gen 4 as I think it's the crappiest of all gens. Made to spec by accountants not engineers.
    Excuuuuse me!! Glock Gen bashing is not appropriate I love my Gen 4

User

The bic is an extremely low stressed spring. Chuck it out as an analogy.
    Saying that Glock springs are a weak point is unacceptable to me.

It is wise and good habit that certain springs if removed should be replaced with a new one.

There was a test done by a some chaps in the US. Two identical Glocks ran a high round count alongside each other. One Glock was cleaned only the basic field strip. The other was detailed stripped each time.

Guess which one ran the most rounds trouble free?

This side by side test validated my opinion that when some says their Glock failed it is more that likely their fiddling that caused the problem.

I posted this not to bring in torture tests and rented guns but medium use by an owner that won't unnecessarily fiddle or deliberately damage their Glock.

I have a few early Glocks all stock which run reliably and there's nothing wrong with those early springs .

Looks at his SD Glock 19 Gen 4 :(

I enjoy my G19 Gen4, but I Love my G17 Gen2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    WARNING- No Warning

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I enjoy my G19 Gen4, but I Love my G17 Gen2. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'll never get rid of my gen2 17. I run a ghost connector which is very nice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast