User

Default Greywing Partridge.

We do not have a lot of game birds on the reserve, a few flocks of guinea fowl, some ducks and geese and a (very) few coveys of greywings and Orange River patridges. That is probably due to the fact that there is no crop farming in the direct area and an abundance of predators and raptors. Shot this one, with a camera, early this morning.

User

Default Re: Greywing Partridge.

Awesome shot T and handsome bird!

User

Drooling over here. My favorite creature to pursue with a firearm. Saw some crossing the road yesterday in the Winterberg. Finger got itchy...

User

Looks almost like a Red-winged Franklin. How does one tell the difference?

User

Well, you are kind of right, it is actually a francolin, greywing francolin. The easiest way, as I understand it, to tell the difference between the two is the speckled throat of the greywing. Maybe there is an ornithologist on the forum that can explain the differences better.

I have never seen a redwing in our area.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Well, you are kind of right, it is actually a francolin, greywing francolin. The easiest way, as I understand it, to tell the difference between the two is the speckled throat of the greywing. Maybe there is an ornithologist on the forum that can explain the differences better.

I have never seen a redwing in our area.
    Correct. This is a Greywing. You are right, the neck is the most obvious difference - Redwing has black and white markings halfway down the neck, but they are very similar and covey up very similarly into April/May. Greywing have a very distinct call when flushing (people who have hunted them over pointers will know this well)
    Redwing more prolific up toward Natal, but you do see them (although rarely) down into the Karoo.

User

I saw a pair of, I assumed were, Red-winged francolin the other day. Looking at that photo I'm not so sure. We have both here but I've never shot either. TStone your photos are really awesome. It's amazing how much one can learn from a simple photo like this, ( lesson #1 for me is only what I don't know. At least I know of something new I'd like to learn)

Banned

Attachment 31579

Red wing

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Greywing Partridge.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    We do not have a lot of game birds on the reserve, a few flocks of guinea fowl, some ducks and geese and a (very) few coveys of greywings and Orange River patridges. That is probably due to the fact that there is no crop farming in the direct area and an abundance of predators and raptors. Shot this one, with a camera, early this morning.
    Greywing a BIG attraction a little deeper into the Karoo

https://www.schanskraal.co.za/

https://www.karoowingshooting.co.za/

https://www.hatsafaris.co.za/wing-sh...-in-the-karoo/

Nice area to hunt -- I like the Karoo mountains