User

Default Fitting sights to a Glock 43.

On a recent trip to the USA I bought a set of Truglo sights for my Glock 43, my intention was to have it fitted by a gunsmith in Bloemfontein. However, arriving home I went into self isolation and before that was finished, lock down happened. How difficult will it be to fit them myself?

User

Default Re: Fitting sights to a Glock 43.

The rear sight you'll need something to push the sight out of the dovetail. If it's got tritiums in, don't use a hammer and drift punch. Glock front sights mos use a screw to fix to the slide, I think?

Google DIY sight pusher, you'll see some youtubes using 2x G clamps. Used that idea, but borrowed a mill vice from work and one G-clamp. Worked like a charm. Put isolation tape on the slide to avoid marring the surface. A cut-off and squared-off allen key (I had a bunch of old 6mm ones lying around) works like a charm to securely push on one side of the sight, and on the G-clamp/vice on the other side.

I'm sure you'll have stuff on the farm you can use to do this. I may have photos somewhere on a backup drive, I can search and email to you if needed...

User

The rear site is easy enough, but if you haven't got a tiny little socket to replace the front site you're in trouble. Rather leave it till you can have them fitted and site them in.

User

Spent some time on youtube, the rear sight will not be a problem. I do have a socket that fit the front sight screw, but it is too fat to fit into the frame, the screw is really close to the front of the frame. i'll try to modify it (the socket not the frame). Otherwise I'll leave it until things get closer to normal.
    Thanks for the advice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Spent some time on youtube, the rear sight will not be a problem. I do have a socket that fit the front sight screw, but it is too fat to fit into the frame, the screw is really close to the front of the frame. i'll try to modify it (the socket not the frame). Otherwise I'll leave it until things get closer to normal.
    Thanks for the advice.
    If you have a correct size Allen cap screw, you can grind it until it fits.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    If you have a correct size Allen cap screw, you can grind it until it fits.

That's actually quite clever, is it strong enough to torque the little bolt tightly enough?

User

Great idea, I'll see if I can find one on the farm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    That's actually quite clever, is it strong enough to torque the little bolt tightly enough?
    I changed my standard sights to Rescomp sights about 1000 rounds ago. Put a bit of Locktite on the screw, tightened by hand first, then with a pair of pliers. Still solid. Picture doesnt show it that well, but need to flatten the top of cap screw to get good hold on glock sight screw as you tighten.

User

Using Bonedoc's advice I managed to make a front sight tool. I could not find an Allen cap screw of appropriate size but did find a bolt of the kind that is used to assemble pre-manufactured pine furniture that had the correct size. Problem is the bolt head has a 14 mm diameter, then a second problem reared its head, our bench grinder had died. I clamped a grinding disk to my workbench chucked the bolt in a cordless drill and spent a considerable amount of time making the tool. That was the worst part of the job, changing the front sight was easy as was fitting the new rear sight.

Thanks for the advice.