Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bullet proof jackets - what to get?

So according to Google ceramic plates have a shelf life of 5 years but they say that is just precautionary and they will stop bullets beyond the 5 years.

Thing is I have two level IV ceramic plates that I bought more than 5 years ago. What do I do with them? Target practice? Only to find out they were good to go and wasted a whole lot of money, or chance them not working and take a bullet to the body.

I kept them in good condition, no moisture, not dropped, etc.

5 years is pretty short, yet another reason to get steel plates, not saying steel is the route to take just another factor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So according to Google ceramic plates have a shelf life of 5 years but they say that is just precautionary and they will stop bullets beyond the 5 years.

Thing is I have two level IV ceramic plates that I bought more than 5 years ago. What do I do with them? Target practice? Only to find out they were good to go and wasted a whole lot of money, or chance them not working and take a bullet to the body.

I kept them in good condition, no moisture, not dropped, etc.

5 years is pretty short, yet another reason to get steel plates, not saying steel is the route to take just another factor.
    Steel plates also have a "limited" lifespan so I wouldn't worry about 5 years on ceramic plates. If they've been looked after they'll outlast you.

Some nice Russian Level IV armor defeating M855A1 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Some nice Russian Level IV armor defeating M855A1 rounds

Interesting vid, was really expecting the ammo (it certainly looked the part) to pierce the armour.

Quote Originally Posted by marcvbsa View Post
    Steel plates also have a "limited" lifespan so I wouldn't worry about 5 years on ceramic plates. If they've been looked after they'll outlast you.
    Some steel plates have a 20 year shelf life quite a bit more than the recommended of ceramic. Will hold onto my ceramics for a handheld shield (head) and do some more research on some III+ plates.

Follow up to previous video with them now using 308/7,65 rounds on the Russian armor plate

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Thank you does anyone here have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a vest from Action Bulletproof.

I opted for the extreme covert vest. No pockets, molle attachments or anything.

The covert vest can be worn under a jacket for concealment if you want to do that. The “extreme” part means you get kevlar on the sides too - pretty much wrapped around. I got the level III jacket.

I also chose the option for plate pockets and I selected the light-weight polymer plates - I think people have called them HPPE ? Anyway it pushes up the protection level to IIIA or something. Sorry, not clued up on this stuff. In any case, it is definitely specced as resistant to multiple 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39 hits. Might have also mentioned 7.62 x 51.

It is short enough so I can have my normal IWB twin mag pouch and my AIWB holster on my normal belt.

I had an issue with the way it fastened, so I sent just the vest back and they fixed it up exactly as I requested and after putting everything back in it, I’m very happy with it.

I’ve got some pics if someone wants.

Sorry for my vagueness about the specs. It’s all on my PC which is sleeping right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post

I have a vest from Action Bulletproof.

I opted for the extreme covert option.

I also chose the option for plate pockets and I selected the light-weight polymer plates
    Price and weight, please?

User

Seeing as we are sharing.

This is my Crye JPC. Currently has Zebra Armour Single Curve HPPE Stand Alone Plates. I will be upgrading to Multicurve as I just found out about them in this thread.

My one IFAK is not on the plate carrier when i took the picture, but I keep a smaller one on here. I also have 2 x Tourniquets that you can't really see, one is elastic banded to the bottom of the carrier and the other is banded to the outside of the IFAK on the right of the cumberbund.

Other than that. I have a Source Hydration Bladder that mounts to the rear Molle, but it's only attached when I need it, otherwise I run the rear slick, other than a stash of cable ties threaded on the rear.

Depending on the setup I also have loops on my shoulder strap to route a PTT and my hydration tube.

I have a head lamp threaded to the front Molle as needing light and the ability to use your hands has been invaluable in my limited experience.

In the admin pouch i keep a couple GI Energy Gels, a Bioplus Sachet a couple small pencils and small pad.
    I have a belt setup that can be pared with this that has a larger admin pouch with more essential stuff, as I view a plate carrier as a second line setup.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Price and weight, please?
    6.4 kg with the plates.

NIJ Level IIIA Extreme Covert Vest - protection level 9mm, .357 magnum and .44 magnum - front, rear and sides

1.8 kg Lightweight Multi-Tile Level III Plates - 7.62 X 51 Ball - multi shots; 7.62 X 39 - multi;5.56 X 45 Ball - multi

In 2017 I paid R13k. I think I have seen the prices have gone down a bit now, but you'll have to contact them.

http://actionbulletproof.co.za/

Jochen Chislett is quite active on the EDC group on FB

Send me a PM if you want some pics via email, or check out their online catalogue.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast