Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Bullet proof jackets - what to get?

Good morning Folks!

We consider getting ourselves bullet proof jackets.

Some questions for the folks with experience:

Which level to get? I, II, III?

Which type of proofing to get? "Gel" type, kevlar, steel plates, ceramic plates? Or a combo?

Which type of carrier? Tactical vest with loose plates or dedicated vest with integrated proofing?

From what I have heard: one has a basic choice between maneuverability and protection level. Either better, heavier proofing and slower movement, OR lighter, less effective proofing and better movement.

Ceramic plates need to be replaced once hit, which might turn out expensive and impossible to do.

In an ideal situation I would like to get Level III vests which weigh 1.5kg each, and cost me R5 each.
    Reality check: we live in SA in 2020. What do we get?

My guess and planning: a LII system (handgun proof) with optional added steel plates for protection against rifles.

And kevlar helmets?

Thanks for the input!

User

Default Re: Bullet proof jackets - what to get?

It may be worth your while to investigate this local company. Hopefully kinder on the wallet. https://www.bodyarmour.co.za/

User

You get a Kevlar type that looks very casual, looks like a body warmer “sleeveless jacket” and they are pretty good as far as I remember, I googled them yesterday and could not find them I wanted to start a post but didnt get to it, maybe anyone that knows what Im talking about can comment because it looked like a good option for the Op as well as myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    You get a Kevlar type that looks very casual, looks like a body warmer “sleeveless jacket” and they are pretty good as far as I remember, I googled them yesterday and could not find them I wanted to start a post but didnt get to it, maybe anyone that knows what Im talking about can comment because it looked like a good option for the Op as well as myself.

The company you're referring to is most likely Action Bulletproof, they're based in Durban and also manufacture BPV's to look like ordinary clothing
    http://actionbulletproof.co.za/Pages...tproof%20Vests

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    The company you're referring to is most likely Action Bulletproof, they're based in Durban and also manufacture BPV's to look like ordinary clothing
    http://actionbulletproof.co.za/Pages...tproof%20Vests
    Thank you does anyone here have any experience with them?

I would also like to know

User

I have a vest from Action Bulletproof.

I opted for the extreme covert vest. No pockets, molle attachments or anything.

The covert vest can be worn under a jacket for concealment if you want to do that. The “extreme” part means you get kevlar on the sides too - pretty much wrapped around. I got the level III jacket.

I also chose the option for plate pockets and I selected the light-weight polymer plates - I think people have called them HPPE ? Anyway it pushes up the protection level to IIIA or something. Sorry, not clued up on this stuff. In any case, it is definitely specced as resistant to multiple 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39 hits. Might have also mentioned 7.62 x 51.

It is short enough so I can have my normal IWB twin mag pouch and my AIWB holster on my normal belt.

I had an issue with the way it fastened, so I sent just the vest back and they fixed it up exactly as I requested and after putting everything back in it, I’m very happy with it.

I’ve got some pics if someone wants.

Sorry for my vagueness about the specs. It’s all on my PC which is sleeping right now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post

I opted for the extreme covert option.

I also chose the option for plate pockets and I selected the light-weight polymer plates
    Price and weight, please?

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post

I opted for the extreme covert vest. No pockets, molle attachments or anything.

The covert vest can be worn under a jacket for concealment if you want to do that. The “extreme” part means you get kevlar on the sides too - pretty much wrapped around. I got the level III jacket.

I also chose the option for plate pockets and I selected the light-weight polymer plates - I think people have called them HPPE ? Anyway it pushes up the protection level to IIIA or something. Sorry, not clued up on this stuff. In any case, it is definitely specced as resistant to multiple 5.56 x 45 and 7.62 x 39 hits. Might have also mentioned 7.62 x 51.

It is short enough so I can have my normal IWB twin mag pouch and my AIWB holster on my normal belt.

I had an issue with the way it fastened, so I sent just the vest back and they fixed it up exactly as I requested and after putting everything back in it, I’m very happy with it.

I’ve got some pics if someone wants.

Sorry for my vagueness about the specs. It’s all on my PC which is sleeping right now.

Thank you for the info, I am actually 99% to making my final decision, going to get the “extreme reaction” from Action Bulletproof, level IIIA, full wrap around protection, not getting plates because I want mobility and im very new to vests, have never worn one in fact, and I can always add plates should the situation in SA become what I believe it is.

I do understand correct that I can always add plates at a later stage because the vest has plate pockets? Will probably call them to confirm before handing over just over 5 Grand today.

I like the idea of a plain vest for simplicity, but then again a molle strip for a flashlight and CAT would be ideal but thats what my belt is for. I like the idea of being able to put a jacket/sweater over the vest for when I need to head out at night for which ever reason.

The way I see it is that its another tool, meant to stop a bullet or 2, or possibly a knife attack, and thats worth 5 K+ for now

Shit I hope im not making the wrong decision going with the plain vest

User

By Casual I mean you could wear it in winter and 99% of people wont even notice its a bulletproof vest

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast