Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bullet proof jackets - what to get?

The below link is a very interesting discussion on Steel plates and the testing of armour!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalgea...el_body_armor/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    The below link is a very interesting discussion on Steel plates and the testing of armour!
    Ah interesting thank you, something to really think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    A good read, thanks, it really kills the idea of steel plates, reinforcing whats been said in this thread.

User

This thread has me spinning. So Ar500 plates are out. This leaves soft armour, ceramic plates or a combination. I was on the tactical distributes page yesterday and they have condor plat carries with multiple inserts. What is the difference between level III, IIIA and level IV plates? Aimed at home defense what would be a good option. Is side protection necessary?

User

LIIIA stops handguns up to 44 Mag.
    LIII stops rifles up to 7.62x51.
    LIV stops AP (armour piercing) up to 7.62x51

Look for HPPE plates; that is a slightly thicker but much lighter polymer plate.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Koekie Monster View Post
    This thread has me spinning. So Ar500 plates are out. This leaves soft armour, ceramic plates or a combination. I was on the tactical distributes page yesterday and they have condor plat carries with multiple inserts. What is the difference between level III, IIIA and level IV plates? Aimed at home defense what would be a good option. Is side protection necessary?
    You need to risk assess what threat you’ll most likely face, this tied in with budget will dictate what to get.

Most plates are not rated to be stand alone. Meaning they need Kevlar under them to help soften the impact of a strike. Not only penetration can kill you buy blunt force trauma too. So if you want just plates make sure they are rated as Stand Alone. The difference on plates between III, IIIA/III+ and IV is what it’ll stop, III is the least and most basic, IV is the most and most numerous. Weight will also go up with the rating.

To give you an idea go have a look at the spec sheets for each plate rating on the Zebra Armour website, these are local guys and TACQM sell their products on their online store. https://zebraprotection.com/category/products/hard-armour/plates/

I got myself a IIIA vest with level IV plate in front. The idea to get a lightweight III plate at the back eventually.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koekie Monster View Post
    Whatever you decide on please just don’t order it from Tactical Distributors. You will lose your money and never receive your order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    A good read, thanks, it really kills the idea of steel plates, reinforcing whats been said in this thread.
    I don't think it totally rules out steel plates but just don't expect them to take multiple shots (and have a nice day) when the anti-spalling coating has come off. And expect them to weigh quite a bit if you are looking at level III+ which is what I would go for given that in SA we have quite a few AK's in circulation. Also rated plates (if there is such a thing in SA) seem to be recommended.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    I don't think it totally rules out steel plates but just don't expect them to take multiple shots (and have a nice day) when the anti-spalling coating has come off. And expect them to weigh quite a bit if you are looking at level III+ which is what I would go for given that in SA we have quite a few AK's in circulation. Also rated plates (if there is such a thing in SA) seem to be recommended.
    Please remember that the issue of spalling is very real and not something that I would be happy to have ripping up my face and body after a direct hit.

See Bjorn881's link from his post above:--

User

Also consider coverage area and weight. A pistol round to a place not covered by the vest is still deadly. Some of these lightweight options don't cover a lot, and if you're 95% likely to be facing handguns then is higher coverage kevlar not a better option?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast