User

Default Renewal deadline during lockdown & consequent late renewal

Hi all

In February I made an appointment for the "interview" for my next batch of renewals. Earliest date I could get was in mid April so I took it.

That date in April fell inside the lockdown period and was (understandably) cancelled by my DFO via an sms with a comment to the effect of "We will update you once we know more"

The reality is that as a result of the lockdown, I will probably only be able to submit my renewal applications after the 90 day deadline. Obviously I won't be the only one in this position.

I'll be quite happy to fight it as necessary but I'll be interested to see how SAPS/CFR will deal with those of us that are in this situation.

I'm pretty sure they will be so overloaded after the lockdown that they will be unable to catch up on all the renewals for quite some time. They will obviously have to allow for late submissions of renewals and will that maybe set a precedent that will work in our favour?

The argument would go something like: "You allowed and accepted late renewal submissions as a result of the Corona lockdown. That proves that you are capable of dealing with late renewal applications so why don't you just allow all the other late renewal applications?

What is other people's thoughts on this? Maybe some legal eagles have an opinion?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Renewal deadline during lockdown & consequent late renewal

As we have become to know the operations of the firearm registry I believe the answer would be: "As law abiding and responsible citizens of RSA, the firearm owners should have had the foresight of the Corona problems and applied before lockdown for renewals. Therefore the amnesty period will be extended to give the chance of handling all the extra late applications in a lawfull way."

(I did not state it would make sense, just supplying an opinion towards the possible outcomes.)

Sorry, BBCT

I cannot offer much in the way of insight, but my suggestion would be to take screenshots of the text message where the DFO cancelled the appointment and attach this to an affidavit stating all the details of the situation (e.g. when you made the appointment, when they cancelled it and how, as well as the details of any calls that you had made to the DFO seeking clarification.)

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but you have to make an appointment to see your DFO to hand in documents ?
    In JHB here we just sit in a line and wait, but only if there are even others ahead of you

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Sorry to be slightly off topic, but you have to make an appointment to see your DFO to hand in documents ?
    In JHB here we just sit in a line and wait, but only if there are even others ahead of you
    We got a new DFO last year and he insists we need to make an appointment. I think he likes to deal with only 1 or 2 people per day. We still need to tame him properly so maybe he'll lighten up once we have. The previous DFO was more of a "just arrive & join the queue" type. The current DFO's assistant also worked under the previous DFO and has kept the old approach so I try to see her rather than the DFO.

User

Well, in the way that things work, CHASA came out with a media release yesterday giving advice on exactly how to deal with this situation. I received in by email from Kaapjag but it doesn't seem to be on the CHASA website yet.

User

You can still apply within the 90-day period.
    You will have to supply reasons for applying after the 90-day deadline, so keep proof of your appointment and the postponement.
    Just don't try to submit after the expiry date.