Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: what do you know about pellet guns? - Airguns.

Love Janfred's post. It was all we knew as kids - true, all there was. KK - FF I have noticed that the pellets sit at different depths when dropped in, did wonder about it. Will make a pellet seater and try find out more about pellet uni forming tool.
    It is interesting and entertaining.
    I think the Marksman pellets of yesteryear were made to a bit less of the mass production end result we receive today.
    I clearly recall using my Dads pellet gun (which I am still using) to shoot the heads of match's in our houses passage. It was a rainy day treat for us to have a wooden board dragged in over the end door with a target hung on it. My Dad would always end off by putting a few match's stuck in a potato with the heads as final target. The passage is just over 5 m long.

So yea! I do believe the pellets still had some standard to them then. Lastly, I also recall finding an odd shaped pellet 40 years ago was a call your friend event.

Banned

Cleaning the barrel ? My Dads one has never been cleaned in maybe 50/60 years.
    Do we ever clean these barrels ?
    What would we be cleaning out ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Cleaning the barrel ? My Dads one has never been cleaned in maybe 50/60 years.
    Do we ever clean these barrels ?
    What would we be cleaning out ?
    There's not much to clean out, just a little bit of lead residue some times and maybe some rust.

User

Have a look here, I learned a lot from him:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/

User

The Marksman pellet quality of yesteryear was definitely very different and more consistent than the pellets sold for the last 15 to 20 years.
    A good few years back I found some older boxes we had left (read lost at the back of a drawer) for comparison.

Quality and weight was definitely different between the old and new.
    There was a noticeable drop in quality.

So what brand of pellet would you guys recommend? JSB has been mentioned, anything else?

What about what brand to avoid?

User

Most of my guns (springer and PCP) are very accurate with RWS.

Used many 1000s of Marksman as a boy, tried them some years back and they are really shitty now.

Same experience with Gamo, my guns do not like them.

User

When accuracy goes for a ball the first thing I do is check the stock screws, if that is not the issue then clean the barrel.
    If that does not solve the problem then look further, but from a rifle that was previously shooting accurately that often solves it.
    Other things to look at are differences in pellet batches, scope mounting and the scope as well. Then also run it over a chrony.

Not all pellets are created equal, some are softer than others and may leave a lead build up over time.
    So if groupings start to open up then there is the place to start.
    As mentioned previously pellets will differ from batch to batch, JSB is known for this.

As for scopes, the Hawke brand seems to stand up to the recoil from most springers, I shoot HW97's, 77, 90, 80, LGV Comp Ultra.

A good quality break barrel will shoot just as accurately as an underlever / side lever.

Good brands of pellets - JSB, H&N, Air Arms, RWS.

Air rifle barrels can be extremely pellet fussy, it can take a while to find the right brand / weight.

User

What he said.☝️

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    As said, your likely problem is the choice of pellets. Marksman pellets are not good quality. I shoot airrifles a lot as it affords cheap trigger time and helps with shooting fundamentals. I use JSB pellets and they come in different sizes within each caliber ( 4.50, 4.51, 4.52mm etc) to fit your rifles bore.

Pellet rifle bores do not need to be cleaned often as there is no propellant residue to deal with as is with firearms. Also do not use a bore brush, the barrels are not hardened and a bore brush will harm the rifling. I use a piece of weadeater string with a cotton patch and some gun oil as a pull through from time to time (every 5 tins or so).

Springer rifles are difficult to shoot accurately due to the recoil (yes they do have recoil). Look up the term "artillery hold". This is a way of holding the rifle lightly and allowing it to slide forwards and back during the shot. Hold the rifle the same way for every shot (consistency) and you will see the groups tighten up. Do not rest the forearm directly on a rest but rather on your hand on top of the rest. By resting it on a hard surface directly, it will cause the rifle to jump during every shot and not consistently so.

Scopes are also a bit of a hit and miss affair on springers. Even the most expensive big bore centre fire scope will not last on a springer due to the recoil. The recoil of a springer is in the opposite direction of that of a center fire due to the piston slamming forward during the shot cycle. Regular scopes are not strengthened for this recoil. Due to this, only springer rated scopes will last and hold their zero on a springer rifle. Maybe remove the scope and try using the iron sights?

Lastly, these 1100fps magmum springers as advertised are not accurate precisely because of the velocity. Pellets become unstable in the trans sonic and super sonic ranges due to their design. The velocity to aim for with these rifles is around 850 to 900 fps. There is a lot of English and American forums on airrifles and they have a wealth if information on all types of airrifles, but what you're looking for is "springer tuning" which is a science and black art in itself. Springs are shortened and spaced to shorten "locktime" and pistons are lightened te reduce recoil etc.

Good luck and enjoy. My boys love shooting the airrifles with me.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
    Very good and comprehensive advice from Marius.
    There are more variables to manage in springer airguns in my experience than with PCP’s that regulate the pressure with each shot to ensure more consistency.
    The best PCP’s (also most expensive ones) operate around 850ft / second for bullet stability.
    From my own experience in shooting my PCP, pellet choice is absolutely critical for accuracy. Also domed pellets are more accurate than the flat faced and pointed pellets. I suspect it would be the same for springers.
    I have shot many brands and found the best results with these two: Crosman Domed, H&N field target trophy.
    One last thing, almost every single brand has a different weight. The good brands like the ones mentioned above list weight in both grains and grams.
    Your point of impact will inevitably change every time you use a new brand. I have to zero my scope with every new tin I buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast