Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best optic???

User

Default Re: Best optic???

Quote Originally Posted by Pawin View Post
    HI, I am getting into long range shooting up to 1200m and am looking for a decent budget range optic and rangefinder. I will be interested in a Burris Eliminator as it has both. I prefer first focal and Milrad but is not a must, i know the older good scopes are MOA. I will be placing it on a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore. Please advise or contact me if you have one available as i have some cash available. I am in the Durbanville area.
    The Eliminator is a nice hunting scope. Most shooting comps won't allow you to use the range finder( must remove battery and tape it shut). The reticle is quite thick, not ideal for precision shooting.

I am biased toward Vortex Diamondback Tactical/Strike Eagle/PST/RAZOR in ascending price category. Decent glass, usable reticle, reliable tracking, good backup of warranty in SA.

Most other known brands have tactical/precision range of scopes ranging in price from R7500-R70000+. Dont bargain in spending much less than R15000 for a buy-once scope, especially if 1000m+ is your aim.

Any range finder, as long as its made by Leica!

SIG/Vortex also good and competitively priced. Budget around R8000, less for a decent second hand. Dont buy cheaper, will only frustrate the hell out of you.

I am also in Durbanville, welcome to contact me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    I don't do long range shooting, but you can also check out some videos on YouTube from the channel, Impact Shooting. I understand that the shooter is a SA guy (based in the WC) and he does seem to do quite a bit of LR shooting and posts a number of videos about it and his equipment.

See link: https://www.youtube.com/user/PieterMalan45

PS. I also think that he is on GS with a forum name of PietSkiet (or similar)...
    He only pushes Vortex as he is sponsored by them.

User

Decent budget for out to 1.2km I would recommend the 5-25x50 PST Gen2.

I do shoot out to that distance and you are going to replace the cheaper stuff sooner than later. Cry once ...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

Hi All

So I find myself in the same situation as the OP. Having recently bought a long range 6.5 CM rifle, champing at the bit to get the app in after lock down. Also planning to shoot that magic 1000-1200 yard mark.

Having some time on my hands I have also been looking for potential scope setups to accommodate this platform. From what I learnt, it looks to me like if you are going the Vortex route, either the PST Gen2 or the Diamondback Tactical, both the max 25 magnification models will suffice.

As to which one of these depends a lot on, Number 1: The user. If you have good eye sight then the relatively lower grade glass used in the Diamondback should suffice. If not the PST is the one. Consideration must also be given to the range location (prone to heat mirage) and time of day (light availability), the better glass will be a clear advantage in adverse conditions.

Number 2: The reticle. The PST has an illuminated reticle, Diamondback does not. So I think strong consideration here as to what time of day (Morning, Dusk, low-light etc.) and where you plan to shoot this rifle at extended distances. Also, both of these scope use an EBR (Horse-Shoe-Style) reticle, great if you are the type to use the reticle for holdovers and your rifle (more specifically caliber/barrel length/100yd or 300yd zero) can accommodate these sub tensions without having to dial turrets. If you are inclined to dial in holds or need to bias beyond 36MOA drop or windage, then from what I have seen the PST will make a better choice as it has better quality turret mechanics.

All in all, the Diamondback looks like it is a great entry into the FFP long range game, it packs much of the same features as the higher end alternatives into a price point of between R10-R12k. You sacrifice glass quality and the turret mechanics may not be as precise, but based on the points above I think only the shooter can determine whether or not these are limiting factors and the whether expenditure of R25K+ on higher end model is warranted.

I would appreciate any further advice on these two models and any others from different manufacturers at similar price points. I am currently limited by caliber and in-experience to 500 yards, and really don't have the budget to buy the wrong scope and rectify afterwards.

Regards

Banned

The video I posted addresses a serious concern for the amount of dialing up and down at those extended ranges. You also want good tracking. Both these are better done with stainless steel innards.

User

For shooting long range, precise and repeatable turret movements are a requirement, not optional. When going to extreme ranges, extend that to include superb glass. Skimp on that and you are going to be sorely disappointed. If I have to choose between a good SFP scope and an iffy FFP scope because of finances, I would go with the former. That is if you cannot save up for something better.

User

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have been doing a bit of digging and find that we are frustratingly limited by our choice. I am looking at some of the American scopes such as UTG, Arken, SWFA, Vanguard etc. Arken for example has magnificent tracking and turrets. How it will cope with long range I would not know but is 25x FFP so should be more than capable. My budget has jumped from the last scope I bought R8k(UTG Accushot 6-25x56) to about 12K. I should have used the UTG's money to add to the R12k for a vortex. Any thoughts of the Rudolph brand? I have heard good things.

Hi Pawin

If I miised it in your first posr, please forgive me.

What type of long range shooting will you be competing in? The precision rifle series type with different field positions & movement etc., or F-Class shooting from prone fixed positions shooting targets at a known range?

User

HI Nkosi, for now I am looking at bench rest at known distances for now but might venture out to other disciplines including long range hunting. Hence being drawn to the Burris Eliminator. Cheers

User

Any feeling on fixed zoom vs. adjustable zoom?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast