User

Default 1914 Luger Erfurt

Hi,

I'm not a guy who knows much about old pistols.

I came across one of these pistols.

Buyer wants R1000.

What would this be worth.

PS. I have not seen the pistol in person.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: 1914 Luger Erfurt

That’s a steal, take it.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

They are nice guns to shoot, but go have a look at it before you hand over any money. Or get someone to go look for you.

R1000 is a bargain, but not if the barrel is full of rust and pitting

User

Thanks guys. If the gun is in good condition, what should she be worth. I'm looking to sell her on and contribute the proceeds to other projects.

I can't give you authoritative advice but perhaps a few pointers. My very modest credentials are that I was a part time amateur turned pro gunsmith for a few years in a dealership, but it might be helpful if a collector or two had some advice for you. We didn't see a whole lot of collectibles but we saw enough that I learned to spot items that might have value and to what experts to whom to refer the owners. At the time of the enactment of the FCA quite a lot of firearms were exported to Holts in London rather than risk their confiscation and destruction by SAPS. We identified a few that went that route. There are a few basic rules. First and very obviously, condition - a properly functioning piece with a good bore, most of the blue intact and no rust. Lugers, or P08s as they are more properly known, are worth a lot more if the parts have matching serial numbers ie no replacement parts. Refinishing/rebluing greatly reduces collector value. P08s vary a lot in value depending on those factors and depending where they were made (I can't comment on Erfurt except to say that it was one of the government arsenals where P08 pistls and Mauser rifles were made. An artillery Luger in fine condition complete with shoulder stock is worth a king's ransome while an ordinary Luger in iffy condition with mixed parts might fetch only R1000. The same is true of the Mauser C96 pistol. Most were made with 100mm barrels and not many are found with good bores presumably because of corrosive ammo. Longer barrels are much more rare and good bores not commonplace. Most were of 7.63 Mauser calibre. Consequently a long barreled model in good condition in the much rarer 9mm calibre is worth much more. But you can't really go wrong at R1000 if its half way decent. The other question, of course, is if it looks as if it might be worth quite a bit, ethically you should tell the owner that before letting him sell cheaply because of ignorance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I can't give you authoritative advice but perhaps a few pointers. My very modest credentials are that I was a part time amateur turned pro gunsmith for a few years in a dealership, but it might be helpful if a collector or two had some advice for you. We didn't see a whole lot of collectibles but we saw enough that I learned to spot items that might have value and to what experts to whom to refer the owners. At the time of the enactment of the FCA quite a lot of firearms were exported to Holts in London rather than risk their confiscation and destruction by SAPS. We identified a few that went that route. There are a few basic rules. First and very obviously, condition - a properly functioning piece with a good bore, most of the blue intact and no rust. Lugers, or P08s as they are more properly known, are worth a lot more if the parts have matching serial numbers ie no replacement parts. Refinishing/rebluing greatly reduces collector value. P08s vary a lot in value depending on those factors and depending where they were made (I can't comment on Erfurt except to say that it was one of the government arsenals where P08 pistls and Mauser rifles were made. An artillery Luger in fine condition complete with shoulder stock is worth a king's ransome while an ordinary Luger in iffy condition with mixed parts might fetch only R1000. The same is true of the Mauser C96 pistol. Most were made with 100mm barrels and not many are found with good bores presumably because of corrosive ammo. Longer barrels are much more rare and good bores not commonplace. Most were of 7.63 Mauser calibre. Consequently a long barreled model in good condition in the much rarer 9mm calibre is worth much more. But you can't really go wrong at R1000 if its half way decent. The other question, of course, is if it looks as if it might be worth quite a bit, ethically you should tell the owner that before letting him sell cheaply because of ignorance.
    Thank you.

User

The artillery Luger with the longer barrel is more sought after and would fetch a higher price as they are more rare.

User

Interested - will PM you