Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Hunting in a Sea of Grass.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    At risk of messing with a good thread on an important subject, quick answer to silencer questions.
    It is a 26" barrel and I tried to make a silencer with most of the working area in the reflex zone over barrel. I think there is only 4" after barrel crown, you can see the line where thread is on silencer in picture.
    Result>
    The silencer is no better or worse in silencing than any other that would have added 10"+ to rifle length.
    The recoil was noticeably reduced.
    Hell it causes comments! Some fkin funny. _ “you always know Treemans animals from the muzzle blast burn on hide."
    Treeman is not affected by cross winds at all, cause why? Cause his bullets travel in a winds protection tunnel.
    Must weigh a ton though... mine is one of the longer ones (though isn't very effective) I've seen around and adds quite a bit of weight.

User

With that rifle and the suppressor attached you dont need a GPS. Lay it down, walk to the muzzle and collect the beast.

User

On topic, humans operate within a 3D environment.
    If you know the environment you navigate automatically, your body knows the terrain and directions.
    At night when there are no beacons, you cannot see the horizon and you often drive 1m past or even over an animal without seeing it.

So my top tip for any new hunters hunting a new environment, like the terrain from T-stone, don't go running around like a crazy person looking for animals that you want to shoot. Stop often while using the binocs, and during that breather take the time to take the terrain in. Especially after you've shot an animal and you don't have a guide, many people will just start walking after an animal whiles still having tunnel vision from adrenaline. Just take a minute to make sure about your shooting position in relation to the dropped animal. If you must take a bit of white gold and mark a bush near your shooting position, just know it is proper manners to remove it once the animal is located. I have seen many people unable to identify their shooting position when they've lost track of the animal. In mountains, eish, when you climb up you have NO direct line to follow, I must say my most searching for animals have not been the plains but long distance shots in the mountains.

Stop, look, think before you move.

User

Concerning distances - have you ever bowled at someone on a cricket pitch and thought - bloody hell 20 m is a long way away - then you go and bat and suddenly the 20 m seems a lot shorter... Same thing when you look at the buck standing 100m away from you and standing at the spot you thought where the buck was looking back at the spot you shot from.

Mark your spot - draw a line in the sand\ pack a few rocks in the animal's direction - you must be able to restart your search again.

Lots of very good advice on this thread

Question Re: Hunting in a Sea of Grass.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Good rains have left us with the plains covered in grass. This can pose a problem not often thought about by most hunters: Finding an animal after you have shot it. Springbok especially, but even blesbuck and warthog can literally disappear in the grass. As most shots in these circumstances are at fairly long range it is important that you see the animal going and then mark the spot.
    Nice rifle -- what is it ?

Talking Re: Hunting in a Sea of Grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    On topic,
    I am surprised Messor does not go hunting on the back of a horse with a Voorlaaier -- a dog AND an agterryer ...
    Wearing veldskoens and smoking a home made pipe stuffed with the best Magalies -- to test the direction of the wind ..

Perhaps one could start a new trend -- old time vintage hunts ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Nice rifle -- what is it ?
    Howa 1500 bull barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Howa 1500 bull barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    There goes the the thread ISM

Arrow Re: Hunting in a Sea of Grass.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    There goes the the thread ISM
    and
    When winter comes around and the grass all goes brown and dry
    Lots of grass now because of the good late drought breaking rains -- still raining in some parts of the Karoo
    IF TStone is not careful [ of veld fires ] -- there will also go all the grazing ....
    but
    It will be easy to find the shot animals

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3