Banned

Default Eradication of tsetse fly

Have a look at this document. Even as far back as 1963 views regarding the eradication of the tsetse were changing. The areas affected by the policies then in force are huge and just think of the environmental impact it had.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00304-0268.pdf

Banned

Default Re: Eradication of tsetse fly

The old folk did not worry too much about eradication, destruction and extinction.

Banned

What is the purpose of the tsetse fly in nature?

It surely does not first ans foremost fly around spreading illnesses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    What is the purpose of the tsetse fly in nature? It surely does not first ans foremost fly around spreading illnesses.
    **********************************Keeping the old folk out till they knew better?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    What is the purpose of the tsetse fly in nature?

It surely does not first ans foremost fly around spreading illnesses.
    Not all animals out there has a purpose. They exist in a space where all their needs are met they dont have to meet the needs of anything else. In terms of ecological roles. Carrying the parasites are most likely its biggest ecological role

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    Not all animals out there has a purpose. They exist in a space where all their needs are met they dont have to meet the needs of anything else. In terms of ecological roles. Carrying the parasites are most likely its biggest ecological role
    Carrying of parasites would then be its purpose. If its protein based, it would also feed a few hundred species of fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians. I do not believe anything exists without a purpose, even if its purpose appears almost nothing to us - our needs - and our perception of the world viewed from the few minutes man has been on the planet about as great as our understanding of the universe and the purpose of other planets.

Much much later we find the Tiger fish numbers are hugely reduced, we ask why, studies and research find no reason.
    We forget that in years before the baby Tigerfish fed on the millions of Tsetse fly that fell into the rivers and dams. They also when bigger ate the millions of frogs (subject of another study) when the Tsetse fly was gone the frogs battled, less frogs less Tiger fish. So the croc's that fed on the T/Fish now feed on something else, the Lesser Frog Mouthed Heron (subject of another study).
    The F/M/ Heron ate the Water Caterpillar which ate the bank reeds. The Caterpillar explosion decimated the bank vegetation which caused the banks to wash away destroyed 30 species breeding area. This caused the Bilharzia snail to flourish which infected the river dwelling peoples and led to the study that found that the T/Fish population was down from 40 years ago and might have something to do with the bilharzia snail.
    Tseste fly must have been a huge food base for a lot of creatures.

Ever notice the decline in Miggies where my childhood clouds of Miggies? - oh and swallows ? makes me wonder.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Carrying of parasites would then be its purpose. If its protein based, it would also feed a few hundred species of fish, birds, reptiles and amphibians. I do not believe anything exists without a purpose, even if its purpose appears almost nothing to us - our needs - and our perception of the world viewed from the few minutes man has been on the planet about as great as our understanding of the universe and the purpose of other planets.

Much much later we find the Tiger fish numbers are hugely reduced, we ask why, studies and research find no reason.
    We forget that in years before the baby Tigerfish fed on the millions of Tsetse fly that fell into the rivers and dams. They also when bigger ate the millions of frogs (subject of another study) when the Tsetse fly was gone the frogs battled, less frogs less Tiger fish. So the croc's that fed on the T/Fish now feed on something else, the Lesser Frog Mouthed Heron (subject of another study).
    The F/M/ Heron ate the Water Caterpillar which ate the bank reeds. The Caterpillar explosion decimated the bank vegetation which caused the banks to wash away destroyed 30 species breeding area. This caused the Bilharzia snail to flourish which infected the river dwelling peoples and led to the study that found that the T/Fish population was down from 40 years ago and might have something to do with the bilharzia snail.

Ever notice the decline in Miggies where my childhood clouds of Miggies? - oh and swallows ? makes me wonder.
    I hear you but that is not how nature works it is not a well fitted puzzle where every thing has its place. Nature is a constantly changing environment where everything is trying to survive and adapt to survive Irrespective of what their influence might be on the rest of the environment.
    Everything has to constantly adapt to keep up with everything else adapting. Those that dont adapt go extinct. Those that do find new ecological roles.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

I think pesticides play a large role in that.