Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Hunting post lockdown may still be locked down

So hunting (and tourism in general) is going to suffer post lockdown. It seems trans provincial travel, coupled with the spread of the virus is the primary concern

21 April 2020 CHASA Advice relating to Hunting, Culling and Problem Animal Control Activities du.pdf
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Default Re: Hunting post lockdown may still be locked down

Might just help our free roaming type animals a lot, after the drought perhaps this is not a bad thing for the environment.

User

There are going to be a lot of weekend funerals in the Northern Province come May... We will be attending one every weekend. The meat in the trailer was left overs because there were not many people attending

Banned

Ya there may not be a hunting "season", but I do not see it as you can not hunt. I hope I am right because that leaves the whole "non endemic animals " chapter open.
    Please tell me thats what is being said, no hunting season,no cross border,not you can not hunt?

User

Hunting seems to be a challenging business these days.
    I remember a few years ago with the big colour scheme nonsense every non hunter was buying up land to convert into game farming.
    But of course most people saw through that bullshit.
    After that came the great drought, eating into the reserves of many business men since they had to feed their animals.
    Now the drought is over in many places this year but there is no hunting.
    Now those business men who dumped money into the game business have their own businesses closed due to the virus as well.

Hunting will always be there for the average oke, because ordinary farmers will always have game.
    However I am wondering for many commercial game farms if this is the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    However I am wondering for many commercial game farms if this is the straw that broke the camel’s back.
    If I was a farmer I would be a game farmer.
    I hate fences.
    I hate AEC fences even more.

I wish there was some regulation about game farms abutting game farms and absolutely blocking migratory routes.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Messor. IMO the camels back are seriously close to collapse.

And the game are the ones going to suffer. For the last 3-4 years about numbers have not been controlled everywhere as they should have as prices skyrocketed with the colour variants saga. There are well stocked farms for the biltong hunter that had fair (fair to both parties) deals for hunters and a lot of hunters where again planning on normal biltong hunts this year. The numbers are now not going be controlled.

Another concern I have for the well being of game animals are the cash available to buy extra fodder. This time of year there are supposed to be a lot of trucks with bales of hay and lucerne around in my area. I also know a few "fodder farmers." The bales are in the sheds and outside in heaps and I don't see trucks transporting. What are the game going to eat?

This is just another clusterfuck because of corona and the handling of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    for the ones that have facilities in place they will most likely draw down on them + payment relief on payment obligations.

The one farmer i know covers two sides of the value chain : game farm + butcher (essential service), so I will have a verbal questionnaire for him when i see him.

User

I have just received the NHSA newsletter (Vol 16-13) which deals with the possible hunting activities after the end of lockdown... and things don't look good!

See specifically those paragraphs which I have placed in bold red below. As far as I understand it, the Minister of Environmental Affairs, Barbara Creecy, won't permit people to travel from the urban areas to the rural areas for hunting and other purposes and, further, she seems to be expecting that after lockdown no travel will be permitted between provinces (presumably, without good and govt-authorised reasons).

To my mind, this is likely to be fatal to the possibility of a hunting season this year...

See extract:
    NHSA NEWSLETTERVOL. 16 (13) - 22-04-2020
    HUNTING DURING THE COVID-19 LOCKDOWN AND THEREAFTER
    Dear Member,

During a recent discussion between representatives of the Hunting and Wildlife Associations Forum (HAWASA), the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA), Wildlife Ranching South Africa (WRSA), and the Game Meat Industry Forum (GMIF) with Minister Barbara Creecy, Minister of Environmental Affairs, Forestry and Fisheries, the Minister stated that hunting is NOT a legitimate essential service activity (be that consumptive or trophy hunting). However, she did indicate that the legitimate culling of game for the specific purpose of supplying game meat, is allowed.

HAWASA chair, Mr Stephen Palos, after the meeting reported that “…she also indicated that even when incremental reducing of restrictions start, there will be a long time before recreational type travel from urban/metro regions into rural areas (read hunting) will be allowed for any reason whatsoever”.

Due to the expected restrictions in traveling between metropolitan and urban areas to remain in place, it seems that the chances of hunting in 2020 as we know it, are very slim. Tourism and game farm/ranch owners take a very severe blow in this case.

In the case of legitimate DCA or culling activities the land-owner/rancher should be the prime essential service initiator of the activity and should be the entity issuing the necessary permissions, covered by his own Lockdown Exemption Certificate. The participants in the cull or management of DCA activity would thus fall under those legitimate permissions and would require the necessary letters confirming this”, Mr Palos reported

The suggestion is that if members are involved with the above activities, “…they should be cautious and wherever possible they should attempt to get some form of clearance from local law enforcement as an extra precaution, even if just verbally from a senior official…”.

In terms of the food production chain with game meat qualifying as an essential commodity (food), produced within the essential service of wildlife management, Me Adri Kitshoff-Botha CEO of WRSA and Chair of the GMIF indicated that during the above-mentioned meeting: “…the Minister encouraged the production of game meat to proceed as normal. Wildlife ranchers should therefore proceed to cull their wildlife to be sold to registered abattoirs as previously done, or alternatively make use of registered culling teams. It is important to note that the culling of game for game meat purposes…” does not include culling undertaken by consumptive or trophy hunters”.

Members to who the above is relevant, should please remember that law enforcement officers are frequently also at a loss for factual information, and do not always understand the exact details of every hunt, culling or control of damage causing animals members may be involved in. Therefore, it is quite possible that even a legitimate exercise could leave participants in serious trouble at inopportune times and places. We advise that members on who the above has reference should participating in the most critical of activities, and preferably within close proximity to where you are travelling from. Also ensure all documentation is in place, and detailed addresses/locations are on the paperwork.

Please take care

Kind Regards
    Natshoot Office
    Last edited by Tayls; 23-04-2020 at 13:35. Reason: Formatting

User

I don't see hunting for venison, recreation etc for anyone other than the farmer or a registered culling company for the next few months.

My dismal view for the poor chaps that were looking forward to it. Hope I'm wrong.

What we will see is an overpopulation next year hopefully leading to lower prices or the farmers will cull and up their livestock numbers, with the old adage of if it pays it stays. This will be mix farming enterprises. Those dedicated game farms I have no idea. The stripped internal fences cost too much to rebuild to convert back to stock farms. Maybe a waiting game on their part?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast