Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Sig P229 Barrel Bulge

So i managed to bulge my barrel.
    Was during a rapid fire exercise, dont recall feeling a squib, but i definitely have the tell tell ring inside the barrel and a bulge of about 0.15 mm about 1cm from the chamber. The slide gets stuck passed the locked position, right on the bulge. If i wiggle and hit the front of the barrel with my palm, the slide goes back to the normal position.
    From what i have read, theres no fixing a barrel bulge and i will be needing a new barrel.
    Is that correct?
    Where would one get another barrel for a Sig?
    Or can someone recommend a good gunsmith with Sig pistol experience, who will probably confirm my fears..?

User

Default Re: Sig P229 Barrel Bulge

L & O in Pretoria are the agents.

I have only found their FB link https://www.facebook.com/pg/SigSauer...=page_internal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Flanjet View Post
    So i managed to bulge my barrel.
    Was during a rapid fire exercise, dont recall feeling a squib, but i definitely have the tell tell ring inside the barrel and a bulge of about 0.15 mm about 1cm from the chamber. The slide gets stuck passed the locked position, right on the bulge. If i wiggle and hit the front of the barrel with my palm, the slide goes back to the normal position.
    From what i have read, theres no fixing a barrel bulge and i will be needing a new barrel.
    Is that correct?
    Where would one get another barrel for a Sig?
    Or can someone recommend a good gunsmith with Sig pistol experience, who will probably confirm my fears..?
    You're going to need a new barrel. Go with HadEnuf's suggestion and call the agents. Hopefully they can issue another one with the same serial number.

User

Depends on the damage. A good Smith can roll out the bulge.

User

OP, wait for LD to end then take the gun to Vince Phipson at Ritchies Gunsmith in Florida. He has successfully done this fix before.

User

Quote Originally Posted by R Scholtz View Post
    Depends on the damage. A good Smith can roll out the bulge.
    On an already compromised barrel? I would NOT be going this route for a .40S&W or .357Sig barrel.

Yes, in many cases it is fine, but needs careful examination by a decent gunsmith.
    A new barrel with the same serial is NOT an option and would be illegal. Take Peter's advice before you try anything else.

Banned

Get someone with ndt equipment to test/scan the barrel for you. That would point out any dangerous structural damage to the barrel.

Barrel steel is surprisingly soft. A good gunsmith should be able to roll out the bulge.

User

Thank you for your advise everyone.
    I've contacted a few gunsmiths, including Ritchies, by email.
    I'll start calling after LD.
    I'll let the thread know what the outcome is.

Banned

It is important for these steels to have high tensile strength (i.e.) resistance to being pulled apart. ... A tradeoff is made between tensile strength and impact strength and therefore, the barrels are hardened to between 25 and 32 on the Rockwell C hardness scale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast