Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Hello from an arms designer

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    The problem with a railed gas tube is heat transfer to whatever is mounted on it. The newest Zenit Co hand guard has a nifty little redesign that separates the gas tube from the rail.

Have you considered a short recoil tappet gas system if you're looking at calibre changes?
    The barrel change system isn't dependent to the type of gas system. Your biggest challenge is keeping headspace when you remove a barrel. There the AR is admittedly far better than the AK in execution.

In theory it would be pretty simple to create a short-recoil system for the LM - modifying the carrier, the gas block, the piston and the gas tube wouldn't be too complicated - to be like like that of the FN SCAR, but I don't think the difference would justify the cost.

As for the rail, I think I've got a leg up on Zenit Co. I'll try and post it later today.

Banned

Welcome

Welcome Sir, Good to have you on board..

User

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    The barrel change system isn't dependent to the type of gas system. Your biggest challenge is keeping headspace when you remove a barrel. There the AR is admittedly far better than the AK in execution.

In theory it would be pretty simple to create a short-recoil system for the LM - modifying the carrier, the gas block, the piston and the gas tube wouldn't be too complicated - to be like like that of the FN SCAR, but I don't think the difference would justify the cost.

As for the rail, I think I've got a leg up on Zenit Co. I'll try and post it later today.
    By the look of your trunnion I think I know how you've solved that.

That's great! And for the love of gun please don't pull a saiga and use proprietary mags. In fact, an LM in 7.62 x 39 feeding from AK mags in a 12.5" barrel would be magical.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    By the look of your trunnion I think I know how you've solved that.

That's great! And for the love of gun please don't pull a saiga and use proprietary mags. In fact, an LM in 7.62 x 39 feeding from AK mags in a 12.5" barrel would be magical.
    Not all people know this, but an LM and AK magazine fit in each other's receiver without any modifcation. You could change calibers by only changing the barrel, bolt and bullet guide. The Finns wanted to use their existing receivers for their 5.56 NATO export model Valmet's and that just trickled down all the way to the LM.

User

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    Not all people know this, but an LM and AK magazine fit in each other's receiver without any modifcation. You could change calibers by only changing the barrel, bolt and bullet guide. The Finns wanted to use their existing receivers for their 5.56 NATO export model Valmet's and that just trickled down all the way to the LM.
    Checked the video online very intersting... lighter, cheaper, more practical Galil for various applications! I am impressed sir.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3