Thread: Astra A70

Default Astra A70

Has anyone used and Astra A70, can someone give me some info concerning that firearm, would it be a good buy or not (considering particularly that its no modern), I have a friend who'd trying to get rid of his.

Default Re: Astra A70

Hi Andy, good to meet you, my name is Andy as well, welcome to the forum.

I owned and used an Astra A-75 (firefox), it is identical to your Astra with one exception, it has on the safety a hammer drop incorporated into it, up for safe and push down below the off-safe to engage the hammer drop, this is identical to the operation of the HK USP pistols if you are familiar with them. I also had the chance to buy a A-70 recently and had a chance to study the difference between the two. The A-70 is a single action set-up as opposed to the A-75 being a double action. The only reason i did not by the A-70 was because i am a big fan of the double-action system and i do love the hammer dropas well. Why i sold the A-75 is a mystery to even me, it was an absolutely lovely gun, i found it to be 100% reliable and both the A-70 and A-75 are very well made, with little movement on the frame and slide, they are solid little pistols, and definately get my vote.

The only thing i can say against the A-70 itself would be that it is single action, (this is personal preference) which is no problem if you will carry chamber empty and work the slide when in trouble which will cock the hammer, as this negates the down side of single action in my book, not favouring the "cocked and locked" this is the name given to chambering a round with the hammer kept in the 'cocked' position and then engaging the safety (locked) and carrying the pistol in this manner.

(sorry if i am telling you things which you already know, i am unsure how well versed you are with guns and the jargon that is employed)

The other is that if i recall correctly the capacity was limited, having the less then 7 or 8 rounds on the gun if i recall correctly, the mag being a single stack, not double column. And lastly the gun being rather heavy for its size. That being said i think they are great guns and am sorry i sold mine. I did enjoy mine and, did so to the point that at one stage i always chose to shoot it, in fovor of my Glock's and HK's and such, it never had a failure to feed or eject and was accurate, in short a brilliant little gun if you can get past its "disabilities" that i have listed, if i recall the A-75 had a very good, hard type, coating on the gun, much like the CZ75 that looked as if it was rough and could have almost been baked on, i do like this for carry against bare skin, as most Blued weapons will rust when the metal contacts with bare skin for prolonged periods without having the surface wiped with an oily cloth. The Astra A-70 im sure has this same surface treatment which is great  happy0065

If you do not mind my asking, what is your friend asking for the Astra that he is wanting to get rid of? if it is a reasonable price i do not think that you will regret it. All the other chaps will shout 'Glock Glock Glock' and rightly so as it is a good gun, but expensive. If it is the difference between a Astra A-70 or nothing, get the Astra, i would carry one and not feel any less protected then if i were carrying any other single stack 9mmP. Why you ask did i get rid of mine, i am a collector and the Astra holds little value to a collector and as such was sold off to make way for more "collectable" guns. I must say that my almost buying the A-70 was a kind of apology to my A-75 for letting her go before she should have been orphaned :(

In short buddy, take the Astra if you need something now or are not a gun nut who will demand the 'best' (which no one on here will be able to agree whether an HK or a Glock is best anyway  hpy71) it will be a comforting companion one day when the chips are down and you find yourself all alone in the dark.      (que X-Files creepy music in the back ground)

Hey Andy

Thanks for the detailed response, very helpful indeed. I'm new at this, although I read a lot of mags and spend hours on the net, some of the terms and 'mechanicals' I just cannot grasp as they are very new, getting there though. The Astra that is for sale is silver in colour (brushed steel), he claims its about ten years old and hardly been used, and he's asking 2.5K for it.
    I haven't shot it yet, but just from holding it, it felt a bit small in my hand, am not sure how that will affect handling and accuracy (both of which am still learning), I also had a problem with its wait as you also pointed out, its a small gun and feels like its a kg.

User

I personally don't see an A70 being worth R2500 in the current market. Spares will be problematic now that Astra is no longer in business. They were also as noted very heavy for their size. And something I like to harp on but I don't think I would want an eight shot 9x19 as my primary self defence pistol.

Off topic a bit but I would STRONGLY recommend against buying a pistol that you would end up carrying unloaded. I believe that carrying a pistol with no round in the chamber could cause you unnecessary pain and dying.

My recommendation remains if at all possible to look at a Glock M&P or even H&K as first choice. Second choice if budget is more limited would be any of the above used. If your budget still doesn't stretch that far second hand CZ75s or Browning High Powers can often be picked up relatively cheaply.

how hard would it be to find a glock 21 standard or M&P full size, in second hand, and what would be a good price to pay for such

User

Probably a bit to soon to find second hand M&Ps but Khumba can probably let you know about new prices. Second hand Glocks are genereally to be found floating around. I would contact Camdix they may be able to help. Otherwise Dave Sheer had some reasonably priced Glock 19s recently.

i would think that you would come across Glock more readily in either 9mmP or 40SW, with 9mmP being the more frequent find as they are just more popular in that caliber, i usually find, that a Glock .45ACP id harder to find, as i would imagine a more accomplished shooter would buy a Glock hence the lack of used 45ACP Glocks, usually the more savvy guys will buy the 45 Glock, these are probably guys thathave already owned Glock 9mmP or 40Sw Glock s and have decided upon the .45. I do not think that these type of guys will part with their Glock in .45ACP.

This is just my reasoning here, but hence one would find 9mmP and 40SW Glock but usually not .45ACP, i do not know of many guys that will buy their first Glock in .45ACP as a starter gun. That being said they are out there, i sold a Glock .45ACP, but only because my model 36 (single stack) only had a mag capacity of 6 rounds, where the Glock 30 i bought could carry 10, only a difference of 4? Well in a gun fight id rather have 4 left after firing 6 shots then be all out ;).

You may want to give Rowan a call at Kings Guns in durban, i bought my Glock 30 there and i think he had another one or two at around the 4K --> 5K mark. these are the .45 Subcompacts, although their look and feel and size is more akin to a compact though. If your looking for full size Glock i can not help you there, you will have to look around. Ow and most gu shops i know will require a 50% deposit with a payment plane to follow which can be negociated, that gun shop that told you $ up front is full of it. Then again it being a new gun if they did not have the stock its possible, but then again that is another + to buying used, the payment options are better and normally negociable and the price much friendlier...

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Andy, I have been tempted by guns that are 'available' as well, but buy something that makes sense for your application. I picked up a Browning Hipower copy for R350 this week. These guns are out there and it'll be a buyers market in the next 6 months. If you can wait and have a bit of patience, you'll be rewarded.

hjk

I know of a G21; PM me if you are looking for one.
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Susie that sounds one hell of a good deal.