Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet Speeds

User

Default Re: Bullet Speeds

Uhm, you do know I wasn't dissing the old six at all now(though I usually do) ?
    I was merely advising loading it up.

Ps: Either you have too much alcohol left or are suffering from a lack of it.

User

I coulda upped the anti....i checked out the bait you threw but only nibbled.

Must admit to having no booze,but it does not hassle me. what pees me off is being told i am not allowed.
    Maybe when/if this is all over we can sit together and discuss the merits of the 270 over a beer,even though that would be a hellava short discussion.

User

See what I mean, you have no grip on reality, pfff, a 270 person that drinks.....beer.......

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post

Must admit to having no booze,but it does not hassle me. what pees me off is being told i am not allowed.
    Maybe when/if this is all over we can sit together and discuss the merits of the 270 over a beer,even though that would be a hellava short discussion.
    Loving this chirping!

(and that is said by a 270Win shooter.....you know, mos, the hint is in the name "WIN"!)

User

As a general rule, a full case with a powder that gives 100% combustion will give the most accurate loads, so even if you do want to load at a lower node, a case that is not full, can give you issues with inconsistent combustion, and thus less accuracy. Accuracy is not that important in most hunting scenarios, as a fist size group at 100m is still a dead animal. But it is often a psychological thing, that if you know your rifle shoots sub MOA groups, you have confidence in your equipment and also know that if you miss, you can't blame the rifle.

Banned

Arrow Re: Bullet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    As a general rule, a full case with a powder that gives 100% combustion will give the most accurate loads, so even if you do want to load at a lower node, a case that is not full, can give you issues with inconsistent combustion, and thus less accuracy. Accuracy is not that important in most hunting scenarios, as a fist size group at 100m is still a dead animal. But it is often a psychological thing, that if you know your rifle shoots sub MOA groups, you have confidence in your equipment and also know that if you miss, you can't blame the rifle.
    It is a fascinating exercise to play around with GRT ( Gordons Reloading Tool )
    Doing just this

It is FREE ( for now ) and the basic stuff is not difficult

What is interesting is that in most calibres / cartridges 3,200 fps appears to be a magical threshold ( using any number of factors / variations ) !

What is most distressing is discovering a "magic load" and then finding out that those components are NOT available in SA !

I am finding -- SWISS RELOAD https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/relo...en_1/index.php

To be the "best" propellant

Banned

Arrow Re: Bullet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Apparently the .270 WIN was developed from the 30-03 NOT the 30-06 ?

User

You are absolutely correct.
    30-03....shortened neck = 30-06
    30-03... necked down = 270
    For all intents and purposes it has generally been concluded that the 30-06 is the parent case [close enough]
    The only reason for this claim to 30-06 parentage was to give the 270 some sort of credibility. Some people are fooled to this day.

User

I've been watching this thread with a bit of amusement, because I like both Messor and pre 64. Upstanding fellows on this forum. Also, Peregrine advertised these yesterday, so I phoned a friend (he has the latest QL), and at node 5, using Norma URP, I should get 2770 fps. Chamber pressure shows 53k, Ordering some the moment they are allowed to ship and the ranges are open again..

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    I've been watching this thread with a bit of amusement, because I like both Messor and pre 64. Upstanding fellows on this forum. Also, Peregrine advertised these yesterday, so I phoned a friend (he has the latest QL), and at node 5, using Norma URP, I should get 2770 fps. Chamber pressure shows 53k, Ordering some the moment they are allowed to ship and the ranges are open again..
    For bushveld use alone that would be a good combo.
    However, if their BC's are to be believed the 150gr makes much more sense in 30-06.
    There is like a .016 difference in BC, but using norma URP you can push the 150gr over 3000ft/s to node 4.
    A flat shooting hard hitting combo, in the bush or on the plains.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast