Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet Speeds

Default Re: Bullet Speeds

I wonder what game that little .17" cal bullet is intended for?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    For bushveld use alone that would be a good combo.
    However, if their BC's are to be believed the 150gr makes much more sense in 30-06.
    There is like a .016 difference in BC, but using norma URP you can push the 150gr over 3000ft/s to node 4.
    A flat shooting hard hitting combo, in the bush or on the plains.
    I hear you, but this is for EC hunting, when we're ever allowed out again by Stasi. If they group well (under an inch) then I'll take them out to 300m and see what the drop and grouping is like. I won't engage a animal I hunt further than 300m, that's just me. I'll happily shoot at gongs out to 1.5km, with the CM, but hunting no, just no. Node 5 on the 150's will already give 2830fps, have really nice low chamber pressure, but has issues with propellant burnt, and I need to see with URP if it tolerates a lighter bullet. URP did amazing with 140gn's in my CM, the moment I went to 130gn's, it didn't do as well.

For guys like TStone, with 300wm I see there is a 183 and 193gn version of this round as well. This is all just theory and speculation, because we're not trusted by our overlords yet :(

Banned

Arrow Re: Bullet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Idiot 30 cal designers.
    308 is all you need.
    30-30 pfft 3006 obsolete 300H@H and 300WM totally rediculous. And as for the other 30 or so 30cals,just a passing fad.

Ask Messor.

actually a 308 is fine but i would go the 165gr route] But,that aint the point.
    .318 Westley Richards ( Nitro Express ) -- almost an 8x60 Mauser / 8-06
    .330 diameter bullets -- of which there are very few -- .338 perhaps better ?

With so many ballistic / reloading programs and SAAMI and CIP one can have a lot of fun ...

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    My only guess is target shooting, where you can practice with a center fire rifle with proper ballistics, but with about as much recoil as an air rifle. And perhaps shooting small things that you have no intention of eating, and where you can enjoy watching the bullet impact through the scope. What i don't understand is why go to the trouble of making an expanding mono, when a plain cup core varmint bullet will do fine for plinking and varminting.

I know a few people who use these small fast low recoil calibers for culling - head shots, and I have seen that the cup core varmint bullets are impressive with respect the destruction they can do. I think a mono may pass through too easily.

What i don't understand is why go to the trouble of making an expanding mono, when a plain cup core varmint bullet will do fine for plinking and varminting.

This is my point. Peregrine offers solid (non expanding) bullets for target shooting. For varmint hunting a cup and core bullet is cheaper and better. Why a sophisticated expanding bullet in this caliber? Maybe for edible small game hunting?

Banned

Why a sophisticated expanding bullet in this caliber? Maybe for edible small game hunting?
    It has much to do with human nature. Some folks cannot resist buying the most expensive goodies. And as long as there is a market, producers will use it.

If one takes into account how little some folks know, it is thinkable that they unknowingly buy what the salesman tells them to. A colleague once walked out of a gun shop with a packet of air rifle pellets for R360. "The salesman said they were the best for plinking".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    It has much to do with human nature. Some folks cannot resist buying the most expensive goodies. And as long as there is a market, producers will use it.
    Ja but in the same breath probably 95% of all cartridges does not need to exist either, others do the job just fine.

User

Personally I can see the use, the cartridge is VERY fast, 4000ft/s+, and the little bullets are very small.
    Unless the bullet is perfect the sheer forces can tear a varmint bullet that small apart.
    Or very fine obstacles at the target itself like a small piece of grass or a twig you cannot see in the scope, a varmint bullet can explode and probably many misses with these cartridges are not really misses but actually bullet failures.
    With a monolithic you don’t have that, you can shoot monkeys, dassies, birds, rabbits etc all with an expanding bullet yet not worry if the bullet will reach the target intact in field conditions.

I don't think there is much of a market for .17" caliber bullets in SA at all. Much less so for premium hunting bullets in .17" caliber. So, I do not think that making money is the motivation for making it. Maybe it is a case of making it because they can and there certainly is nothing wrong with that. In fact I quite admire that attitude . But I do wonder what, if anything, they intended it to be used on.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Personally I can see the use, the cartridge is VERY fast, 4000ft/s+, and the little bullets are very small.
    Unless the bullet is perfect the sheer forces can tear a varmint bullet that small apart.
    Or very fine obstacles at the target itself like a small piece of grass or a twig you cannot see in the scope, a varmint bullet can explode and probably many misses with these cartridges are not really misses but actually bullet failures.
    With a monolithic you don’t have that, you can shoot monkeys, dassies, birds, rabbits etc all with an expanding bullet yet not worry if the bullet will reach the target intact in field conditions.
    Ok, that does make sense.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast