Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hunting with air rifles

Hi guys, I hope someone can give me some advice....

What are the laws on hunting varmint ( like rabbit ) with a PCP air rifle?
    Is it provincial reguluation or is it completely illegal?

User

Default Re: Hunting with air rifles

Regardless of the legislation, I feel that it is indefensible. No pellet gun can come close to a rifle in terms of a reliable and ethical kill.

I not implying that this applies to you but for many people "Varmint hunting" has nothing to do with pest control and more to do with just killing things for the hell of it. Many of these animals die a lingering death

This is just a debate that came up today and answers were scarce even from the police...

If looking at the americans and the british, hunting quail and rabbit with pcp air rifles is a great sport practised.
    I would like to know, ( Understand about unhumanely) if someone knows the laws and regulation on using an air rifle ( PCP ) for small game hunting, lets say no larger than a rabbit.

If you shoot a bird with a air rifle it will die but a rabbit is much stronger and it might suffer. If jou get a headshot with a powerful air rifle it might die but I still recommend using a .22 rifle. Sorry but I don't know the law about shooting a rabbit with a air rifle but I will try to get some info.

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Have a look at www.airrifle.co.za/archive/index.php/t-3437.html

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    I feel that it is indefensible. No pellet gun can come close to a rifle in terms of a reliable and ethical kill.
    Not quite Dave , there are in fact "big bore air rifles" never looked at the ballistics myself , but the seem quite capable ...

Images from http://www.bigboreairguns.com/

"Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

I think DrDave was talking specifically about air rifles that are available here. I also would not advocate trying to hunt "game", even small game with any .177" air rifle. Sure, I know that guys are doing it and making kills but I am also sure they are wounding as well but I'll bet they will never talk about those. Sooner or later the powers that be will recognise the "problem" and use it as an excuse to regulate. So, those guys out there that think air rifles are hunting rifles, please be aware that you will eventually screw it up for all of us.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    I think DrDave was talking specifically about air rifles that are available here. I also would not advocate trying to hunt "game", even small game with any .177" air rifle. .
    Agree, but it seem the bigger rifles are available here (?)

The argument is about common sense, you probably could kill a buffalo with a .22 It just wont be me who at temps it. In the same way you shouldn't attempt shooting any thing bigger than a mossie with a cheap, spring air-rifle.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Actually rabbits die pretty easily. Head shots within 25-30m with a powerful .177 air rifle are not a problem. (MV at least 800 fps). A lot of people reckon they die of fright, not of the wounds, but I am not so sure. In my experience, a head shot rabbit (with an air rifle) dies almost immediately or within a few seconds at most - quicker than a chest shot Mynah bird does.

I would still prefer to use at least a .22lr though, because you will be tempted to push the range envelope sooner or later.

Obviously don't try an air rifle on hares.

User

I doubt those big bore air rifles are available here. Probably overseas hunters who took those pics.

Here's a link for some:

http://www.airgundepot.com/samyang-909-rifle.html

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Personal opinion - shooting anything other than an Indian Minor (and not even really this) and targets with an air rifle is unethical and stupid. If you are a hunter then the aim is to take the animal down in the quickest, most humane way possible avoiding things that could lead to wounding and causing an unnecessary, long death. As far as i know air rifles over .177 require a license in the first place - you may as well then get a rifle of decent caliber as you are going to have to wait for the licensing process anyway. Again, my opinion, this is stupid - dont do it.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 17-08-2010 at 12:44.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast