Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting with air rifles

I have owned over 10 different high power PCP's in my life - still own 3 at the moment. There can be no comparison between a traditional air rifle and a high-power pcp. I have a .20cal Evanix Blizzard that out-groups my .22 Bruno Rimfire at 50meters. I only ever go for head shots on anything larger than Guinea fowl and stick to 50meters hunting limit for this class of animals. I was once called out to a farm where they had a huge problem with "Blouape". All 1shot kills on the spot, all head shots up to 50meters. Ethics? Due to the fact that these rifles are so much more accurate, head shots become the order of the day and this way in my opinion the animal dies a faster death than it would if it were shot on the body with .22 rimfire.

Below see a 10shot grouping I shot just 2 weks ago at 100m with the Evanix .20PCP. The target is to the right of those two pine trees right at the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vuilhond , wat kos so PCP outjie ?

User

Glocky, if you look at R10 000. Then you just short of the scope, Silencer (DO) and Scuba bottle. You can also pick up 2nd hand deals for R10 000 as at all what you need.

http://www.evanix.com/airrifle.htm
    http://www.air-arms.co.uk/
    http://www.fxairguns.com/
    http://www.daystate.com/

Thanks Vuilhond will littlebit peek

I must confess that I am very impressed with that group 100m ... Who would think an airgun will do.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    Ek moet bieg dat ek baie beindruk is met daardie 100m groepering ... wie sou kom dink dat 'n windgeweer dit sal kan doen.
    Dave Combrink did a 27mm c/c 100m indoor 10SHOT group with a 5,5mm PCP.

User

You can hunt with an airrifle in SA. If it is above 5.6mm (or falls in the caliber range specified for particular species), it's licenced and you have a permit to hunt. There is a group of overseas hunters that visit SA every year to come and hunt with their large caliber airrifles. There was some pics posted earlier on in the thread.

User

I have a 60fpe air rifle... at 15 - 25m its deadly. I have a friend that uses a 40 fpe .20 cal air rifle to control jackal on his farm...

Roger!

User

My brother has a big monkey problem on his sugar farm and needed a firearm that can dispatch monkeys, but not have legal ramifications if it got stolen (can't do all farming activities with a rifle in hand). He got a CZ200S pcp. In the last 4 years he has shot and killed over 500 vervet monkeys. He shoots them at up to 30m and only does head or behind shoulder shots. I have seen him in action and have shot one or two myself. Such is the accuracy of these guns that at this range you can place your shot perfectly. Some (very few) do get wounded and escape, but this happens with .22s and 12ggs as well. On top of this he has dispatched 7 hunting dogs in the same period as well as some snakes and crows. This far exceeds what he was achieving with his .22 which are attributed to: 1. Always having the firearm at hand and 2. The ability to shoot multiple monkeys per troop due to the silenced nature of the CZ (.22 woulld send the troop off in panic)

As kids we used to hunt hares on the farm with .22s, bows and knobkerries (a good throw will do) and I would have no hesitation using the CZ on them. Like any gun, it all comes down to shot placement and knowing the limitations of your firearm.

I know of no law limiting you hunting hares, rabbits etc, as long as the land owner consents and you are not within urban boundaries and the game is not protected in any way.

Some other farmers in the area have also purchased pcp's on the back of my brother's success and are achieving similar success with their vermin.

User

dougi you have failed to introduce yourself. Please do so now in the correct forum.

Here is the link to the board http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/foru...-Introductions

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast