Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Question about 375 H&H ammo trajectories compared to other .30cal rifles for hunting

Hunting in Bush with a suppressor is not nice it’s a PITA to handle
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Default Re: Question about 375 H&H ammo trajectories compared to other .30cal rifles for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Hunting in Bush with a suppressor is not nice it’s a PITA to handle
    so I've heard, so trying to find the best middle ground option w.r.t noise suppression , recoil reduction and length.

I'm looking at the ase utra now, looks to be a good "short" suppressor that will make a big enough difference, any comments on that ? or alternatives ?

edit: will start new thread for 375 suppressor options for hunting
    Last edited by Skilla; 06-05-2020 at 08:37. Reason: additional lines

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Just my 2c, so at the range you wear hearing protection, noise isn't an issue. In the field you can still use hearing protection, I hunt with ear plugs that get put in on the stalk, easy. As for farms that demand you use a suppressor, well its their house, their rules. There are more than enough farms that don't demand it. The free market lives!!

Recoil reduction: most flinching starts at the bench, don't hunch over your rifle, set up the bench so that you are sitting just about strait up, this way the recoil isn't into your shoulder and down your spine, shaking your fillings loose, but rather rocks you backwards. In the field you wont notice the recoil.

Length and balance: if you want optimum barrel length for creeping around the bush, and balance for offhand shooting, don't stick 4 to 8" of extra weight on the end of your barrel.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Just my 2c, so at the range you wear hearing protection, noise isn't an issue. In the field you can still use hearing protection, I hunt with ear plugs that get put in on the stalk, easy. As for farms that demand you use a suppressor, well its their house, their rules. There are more than enough farms that don't demand it. The free market lives!!

Recoil reduction: most flinching starts at the bench, don't hunch over your rifle, set up the bench so that you are sitting just about strait up, this way the recoil isn't into your shoulder and down your spine, shaking your fillings loose, but rather rocks you backwards. In the field you wont notice the recoil.

Use a small towel, sandbag or similar or one of the "bras" that have recoil material over the shoulder to avoid feeling any pain when shooting a heavy recoiling caliber. The pain triggers the subconcious and you land up with a flinch. Avoid that at all cost as it affects shooting with all your firearms. You are not being a sissy but assuring accurate shots for the future.

Length and balance: if you want optimum barrel length for creeping around the bush, and balance for offhand shooting, don't stick 4 to 8" of extra weight on the end of your barrel.
    x

Thanks for the info
    at the range I use big & clunky electronic protection, in the field I've never used anything before, the whole thing is more of an additional step to adjust, fine tune things that I can easily update/change what I don't like, and on a 375, there are not many things I do not like ;-)

I have zero problems / issues with the recoil, actually enjoy/appreciate the feedback its giving me. ( for the first few rounds on the range only )
    with the 416, I admit that I do anticipate the kick a little,

w.r.t the length and balance, that's why im trying to find the shortest lightest option, to gain a little by only sacrificing a little
    Last edited by Skilla; 06-05-2020 at 09:39. Reason: auto correct

A 308 is cheaper to shoot that a 375, nobody will argue that.

If you total the cost of a 308 rifle and all the accessories that go with it, you are not going to spend that much on 375 H&H hunting ammo in your lifetime.

A 375 H&H can duplicate any 308 trajectory. This is made possible by the low BC monolithics available today for .375, but for 300 meters that is not even relevant.

At your hunting range out to 300 meters, your factory ammo will do the job.

You don't need a new rifle, there is nothing in what you need to do that can't be done with what you have. Unless you want a new rifle.

You don't need to invest in reloading equipment, factory ammo will work perfectly to your 300 meter range. Unless you would like to reload.

As an occasional hunter, the money spent on reloading equipment might never be recovered over the cost of using factory ammo.
    Last edited by 414gates; 06-05-2020 at 11:11. Reason: content

User

One must just remember, having a capable cartridge does not make one good at hunting or shooting animals, only hours and hours of practice does that, you can’t skip that step.
    You are not doing that with a 375, most people cannot even do that with a 30-06.
    That role usually falls on a soft recoiling medium cartridge, it used to be the 308 but now for most it’s a 6.5 of some sorts now. And then that same folk realizes hell I’ve been doing all the practicing with this might as well take it hunting seeing as though I know it so well.
    After that most big bores does not get out of the safe very much, people use the soft shooting, cost effective but more than capable cartridges more often, and it does make sense it’s just logical.
    Hell even a suppressor can cost that of a new Howa rifle these days FFS.

I understand the question but I would definitely advise on rather buying another rifle in a more suitable cartridge.
    Use the 375 when you need it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    One must just remember, having a capable cartridge does not make one good at hunting or shooting animals, only hours and hours of practice does that, you can’t skip that step.
    You are not doing that with a 375, most people cannot even do that with a 30-06.
    That role usually falls on a soft recoiling medium cartridge, it used to be the 308 but now for most it’s a 6.5 of some sorts now. And then that same folk realizes hell I’ve been doing all the practicing with this might as well take it hunting seeing as though I know it so well.
    After that most big bores does not get out of the safe very much, people use the soft shooting, cost effective but more than capable cartridges more often, and it does make sense it’s just logical.
    Hell even a suppressor can cost that of a new Howa rifle these days FFS.

I understand the question but I would definitely advise on rather buying another rifle in a more suitable cartridge.
    Use the 375 when you need it.
    I agree with this. Although it's nice one will always shoot a lighter caliber better and more often than a big bore. I own a few and for plains game it is generally always a medium caliber to small caliber rifle I use.

For those that don't hunt a lot it would be much better to use your medium bore you practice a lot with for your once or twice a year hunt coupled with a good quality bullet.Your confidence and skill will be superior with it. However the novelty of using different calibers and even rifles plays a large part to many and there is nothing wrong with using your 404 Jeffery for example on impala. Horses for courses.

On a side note I've seen more animals in my professional career wounded with new fangled. 308+ caliber magnum rifles and big bores than standard working calibers and rifles. This would be a weighted opinion as more folks use standard medium bore calibers of course.

A 375 would really be complimented with a medium bore caliber in my opinion. That said to 300m one should adequately be able to hunt successfully with a 375 h&h. Recoil as much as we scoff at it is a major factor wrt accuracy, practice and obviously cost of practice.

After researching a few new bullet options, i came across my old thread..., so I thought an update on the thread after 2 years would close it off nicely,

I ended up not getting a new rifle, but rather invested what I would have spent on a new rifle into getting to know the .375 better.

Single stage lee reloading kit
    Many powders and bullets tested
    Suppressor fitted
    Settled on 265gr Tipped Hollow Point bullet from Sus-Tac
    Hodgson Varget @ 63.1gr
    COAL 91mm

The end result now is that it will shoot 1MOA groups at 100m and 200m consistently, at 300m it depends on the shooter ;-)
    im much more confident in the rifle, and thanks to the suppressor, it feels like a very angry .223

the extra length does add some difficulty when in thick bush, but I would not go back.

User

Good update. Which suppressor did you end up fitting as a matter of interest?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast