Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    User

Default Re: The role of the revolver as a self defense handgun - By ikor

Quote Originally Posted by JurieF View Post
    Although I agree with what has been said above but I also believe that mind-set plays a much larger role in any defensive situation. I personally been present at shooting incidents (like below as example) where a armed citizen have overcome multiple criminals with much more up to date firearms. The Incident below the citizen shot two robbers (DOA) and wounded a third with his 38 snub nose revolver. Don’t get me wrong I agree that to carry 15 instead of 6 has its obvious advantages. But in no way do I believe that revolvers are obsolete as defensive carry sidearm.
    http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...t-night-219024
    Hi JF,

It is customary to post an introduction as per the forum rules before submitting posts.

PS. Welcome to GS!

User

As a BUG yes- I recently did my 1st shooting course, and learnt new skills , which included how my 9mm pistol can malfunction at close range if I should really need it. A BUG revolver probably won't have the same limitations (my slide did not cycle as it should have, which I knew could happen but seeing it happen is an eye opener...)

Quote Originally Posted by rickdd57 View Post
    I agree totally with our American comrade, every advantage you can have as far as quickly available ammo is very important, nothing worse than
    running out in the middle of a firefight. Also agree a little snubby as a BUG.

User

Revolvers suffer a similar problem if the attacker is able to get a hand on it.

User

You are right. An attacker may interfere with the operation of a pistol slide and with the cylinder operation of a revolver. But- a pistol has to have space for the slide to cycle back, a revolver especially with an internal hammer only needs for the cylinder to revolve in order to shoot off a round.

User

Quote Originally Posted by scubes View Post
    You are right. An attacker may interfere with the operation of a pistol slide and with the cylinder operation of a revolver. But- a pistol has to have space for the slide to cycle back, a revolver especially with an internal hammer only needs for the cylinder to revolve in order to shoot off a round.
    A pistol can still fire one shot with a hand on the slide. A revolver, unless cocked, will not fire if the cylinder is held in place.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    A pistol can still fire one shot with a hand on the slide. A revolver, unless cocked, will not fire if the cylinder is held in place.
    If the slide is moved back 3mm-5mm the pistol won't fire. At least, that is what I measured in CZ, Glock and S&W.

User

True, but just grabbing or holding it will still give you at least one shot. Revolvers on the other hand, if the cylinder can't revolve, it can't shoot.

User

You actually make sense. Never thought of it in quite that way so thank you for that insight

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    True, but just grabbing or holding it will still give you at least one shot. Revolvers on the other hand, if the cylinder can't revolve, it can't shoot.

User

Both types are easily disabled if you can get your hands on them. You are also quite likely to get shot for trying this trick...

If you can actually get your hands on an opponent's gun, you would be better off just disarming him, if you know what you are doing in the first place.

User

That is why many say that in a close range encounter such as this, a knife is a better option and more lethal at very close range in-body range.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Both types are easily disabled if you can get your hands on them. You are also quite likely to get shot for trying this trick...

If you can actually get your hands on an opponent's gun, you would be better off just disarming him, if you know what you are doing in the first place.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast