Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: The role of the revolver as a self defense handgun - By ikor

Th revolver was manufactured by Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen from 1911 to 1928. If I understand the "system" correctly both barrels fired at once!

Thanks for that one...very interesting. It is difficult to see from the photos but on close inspection is does look like the two barrels are off centre. My initial observation was that it fired only one at a time from two different barrels but I can see that it could fire two barrels seperately or maybe one at a time.

sorry for the realy late reply firstly my sd is a pistol secondly tauraus make a 357 snubby that takes 8 rounds if im not mistaken and thirdly for all those scaptics on revolver i rater have a 3 shot capacity on me that a 100 shot capacity at home CARRY SUMTHING !!!1! lol my mum carrys a .25 auto with 7 shots im just happpy she carrys it daily

Well written! Personal opinion - handguns=revolvers , they just look right! I own revolvers and pistols but no matter what 'they' say, the revolver stays top (it might be outperformed in many ways by pistols but what the heck). In rifles a black rifle in a nice piece of wood is the way to go and in shotguns (this will upset most of you) a side by side looks right - o/u does not do it for me.

Like I said, P E R S O N A L O P I N I O N ! tup

What about the Taurus Judge? Alternate load-out with .410 and .45 Colt would make a rather effective man-stopper I'd think? Might be a tad large of your mum though...

Quote Originally Posted by Farley
    What about the Taurus Judge? Alternate load-out with .410 and .45 Colt would make a rather effective man-stopper I'd think? Might be a tad large of your mum though...
    Neither calibre is particularly available here.

Why Yale bothered with this ill never understand.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Farley
    Its a handgun no handgun is a particullaly good "Manstopper" .410 buck and slugs are not very impressive at all.

User

Craig, please allow me to agree wholeheartedly with you.

We all like bells and whistles, but simplicity is the key to survival. Let me relate an incident that happened down here a few years ago. Woman alone at home. Perp forces the door and chases her down the passage. She gets to the bedroom and grabs the pistol. Faces attacker, points and pulls the trigger. Nothing. Perp takes the gun away, shoves it into her mouth and pulls the trigger. Nothing. Assaults her, rapes her and puts her in the deep freeze while he goes about trashing the house. She survives but is in a mental institution for life.

Examination showed that the pistol was loaded (one up) and the safety was engaged. In her panic, she forgot to disengage the safety and in fact, bent the trigger (a force of some tons!). This also prevented the perp. from shooting her.

Since this incident, I've been a great advocate of the revolver for sd; especially for the average gun owner who has neither the time, money or inclination to become instinctively expert at self defense shooting. And that covers about 95% of all sd gun owners out there. In training, I've found that with a revolver, instinctive mastery at arms is far more quickly achieved than with a pistol.

You will also notice that many pistol designs are also moving back to simplicity in operation: that is, a minimum of controls - basically what the revolver design achieved with the introduction of the double action firing mechanism.

You will notice I use the word: 'instinctive' a lot. It is easy to train people to master the more complicated controls of a pistol on the range. But in a high stress situation, pistol control manipulation seems to be the first part of the training that is forgotten.

Having said that; I carry a pistol for sd. But, in the 30 odd years I've been carrying, my arms have all been carried in exactly the same condition: one up, hammer back, safety on. Manipulation of the pistol's controls have become instinctive.

User

Get the Glock, absolutely no controls to fiddle around. ;)

cheers,
    tingriman

User

Glocks break, or haven't you heard?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast