Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Spykerwurm /Screwworm

I am asking the farmers on forum to give me a quick lesson on these parasites. I will be doing research before I leave, but local knowledge is good to have. I would like to be at least, on an know what he is talking about level when I meet this farmer. Would be nice if I have something to offer that he does not know.
    I will be going to a farm shortly where this parasite has cropped up overnight so to speak. The farmers in the area blame the game farmers bringing in game from up North.
    Local knowledge on the following will be appreciated.
    Game with the parasite, do they ever recover?
    Is the meat edible or not recommended from these infected animals?
    Do we burn/bury the carcass or just the infected part?
    Should infected animals (game-sheep are treated) be left alive and hope for best or should they be shot on sight.
    Does this parasite affect all animals, just mammals, mammals and birds, and does it pose a threat to humans.
    I am from my position mostly wanting to know if the uninfected area of an animal is safe for human consumption.
    If this parasite is a danger to humans what is the procedure around infected animals and carcasses.

Banned

Default Re: Spykerwurm /Screwworm

There is quite a bit of info on Google.

In the late 1970's we did survey work near Punda Maria in the old Gazankulu. We stayed in tents under big fig trees. We had 2 week stints up there and on one of our returns I started getting stabbing pains in my back.

Sitting back against the seat of the Ford F250 the pains were worst. Got back home and had the wife look at my back. She was most disgusted as she managed to extract a worm from my back. Not a pleasant feeling at all.

The best was however when my colleague phoned to tell me he had 3 of the worms giving him hell. One happened to have been on his dick.

People living in the Lowveld know that they have to iron all clothes so as to kill off worms that have been laid on washing. We did not have an iron on our trip and that explains the infestation.

I have heard and read about the vaal rhebuck having these worms on their backs. They will spoil the fillets.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Treeman. I think we are first going to need sort out exactly what worm you are talking about?

Spykerwurm / Screwworm in our area are the ones also called commonly "maaiers" (maggots). Maggots or Maaiers are not the correct term. Screwworms as we know them are the ones that are living in sores on animals. Even a tickbite might get infested from time and time. They are packing tightly together in the wound and eats is bigger and bigger. The wound will also have a rotten smell. Such animals can sometimes be smelled before wound are seen. They are very common and in summer time with any injury on an animal they will spread really quickly through the wound start there nuisance.

The ones driepootx are writing about are what we call this side of the Vaal river "Mango Worms." Humans get these normally on bums or backsides and dogs for instance also get them. They are not forming a whole colony and eat a open wound all the larger. They are more common in the Lowveld than in the Waterberg Bushveld, although sometimes we do get a few.

Banned

Banned

If I recall the Bot Fly was a object of study a few years back as its the fastest accelerating creature on earth, the interest was in its not dying from G Forces that are 5 x what will kill anything else.
    The Bot fly accelerates from what if I recall correctly is standstill to like 70Km/h is like 30 cm.
    Was long time back but still crazy shit.

Banned

Maggots are larvae of flies and bluebottles.

A common name for the botfly larvae's parent is the mango fly. Mango flies (Cordylobia anthropophaga) are a species of blow fly that's native to certain parts of Africa, including South Africa and Uganda.

Banned

Thanks so far guys, I gather maggots are what we have always known, Mango Worms are likely what Driepoots had, and there is an outbreak at present in N/Durban area.
    Screw Worm - Spyker Wurm is another animal.

I have not been able to do any research since posting, been a very busy day, just got to PC now.
    Was hoping for more info for when discussions took place, I think I will be able to nod my head sagely when matter is discussed by after mid night (Kruger Dunning effect). Will read on subject till midnight, sleep till 4 and then head out at 5.
    Sad this, big BEEEg trophy bulls being found in bush dead.

Banned

New and Old World screwworms are the only flies that consume live flesh as a primary food source, Swiger said, and the closest alternative in this regard is botflies. But botflies create a wound with a small number of eggs to avoid killing their host. Once botfly maggots mature into adults, they take off.

Treeman, this might help (Afrikaans):

http://hulp.landbou.com/kundiges/vra...or-spykerwurm/

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

This is a wound on an eland bulls neck probably caused by fighting. My friend shot the eland as it was in bad shape. Me thinks this is screwworm. We get it in cattle quite often but we just call it "maaiers" and it is easily treated with supona spray and prevented with Stockholm tar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast