Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: The air up there

Bogger

User

Where abouts in the Karoo is that Messor?

Absolutely stunning Someday technology will allow you to smell the scent of the air and bossies.

User

Nice pics,thanks man.
    My overall feelings in a place like this is one of realising how insignificant i,and my time on earth really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Rain has been better, but much more needed to repair the damage from the great drought.

The Karoo is a remarkable place, and it’s a very big place.
    It’s easy to get consumed by the politics of modern living, the crime and fear of city living.
    It is difficult for most to understand to be in a place where there is absolutely nothing to fear, nobody to do you harm.
    A place where you can sit around the fire and watch the night light up with stars a hundred times as clear as in the city, where when you put your head down to sleep there are no worries of burglars or attackers or humans wanting to do you harm.

Mountains are special, when you sit up there and stare into a vast landscape of nothing, it’s not a moment of clarity nor a moment of thought, it’s a moment I can best describe as being part of something more, something greater, ancient. When you walk on a pavement you can find out how old it is and who build it. When you walk on rocks in the mountain they have been there for millions of years, lying still just like that. I remember stepping on a rock and it rolled out of its place, and I wondered how many eons it’s been since that rock moved, also knowing the chance is good that I was the first person ever to step on it.

So next time you transvalers go south, or the souties goes to visit up north, book a day or two at a guest house on a farm in the Karoo. Pack a backpack and take your son or daughter for a day of climbing, it’s like a journey into the past that you share with your future.
    I am planning to move with my family to an area where the Karoo is on my doorstep. Cannot wait to get out of Joburg to the place you are describing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Where abouts in the Karoo is that Messor?
    NEC, north eastern cape

User

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    Absolutely stunning Someday technology will allow you to smell the scent of the air and bossies.
    Heaven forbid :)
    It will be like the matrix, with you wondering if they actually got it right, the smell, and you won't know if they got it right unless you are up there.

If I was independently wealthy I would do something like the make a wish foundation.
    I would sponsor disabled folk and carry them up a mountain, so that they also can see this for themselves.

Heaven forbid :)
    It will be like the matrix, with you wondering if they actually got it right, the smell, and you won't know if they got it right unless you are up there.

If I was independently wealthy I would do something like the make a wish foundation.
    I would sponsor disabled folk and carry them up a mountain, so that they also can see this for themselves.
    I think it would be like when a blind person can see for the first time. I am sure I would shed some tears.

Like me I’m sure there are quite a few who hunt in the Karoo every year and like me quite a few chaps will not be making it out there this year. Whatta Dissassta cos some of those feelings described by the OP can only really be experienced when YOU’RE OUT THERE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Lightbulb Re: The air up there

The Karoo is a remarkable place, and it’s a very big place.

Mountains are special, when you sit up there and stare into a vast landscape of nothing, it’s not a moment of clarity nor a moment of thought, it’s a moment I can best describe as being part of something more, something greater, ancient. When you walk on a pavement you can find out how old it is and who build it. When you walk on rocks in the mountain they have been there for millions of years, lying still just like that. I remember stepping on a rock and it rolled out of its place, and I wondered how many eons it’s been since that rock moved, also knowing the chance is good that I was the first person ever to step on it.
    I am surprised we see no horse in the picture ?

That is how I would like to do a hunt -- one pal , three horses , pack mule , one week rough camping in the Karoo mountains

That is why we recently purchased property there -- in the mountains

You really want -- "mountains" .....

-32.34121 23.89458

The "playground" of Gideon Scheepers

There is enough wild country there to easily get lost for a week --or more ( NO roads -- only tracks )

However if you really want to see the Karoo from above visit

Dr Johan Lochner in Victoria West ( just such a pity about the airfield )
    or
    Charles Maasdorp in Graaff Reinet
    or
    Reid Wardle in Thomas River

Later ....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast