Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: LIFE AND DEATH IN SHANGHAI ( South Africa )

"

Genes and environment

Whether intelligence is inherited or is due to environmental influences has long been debated.
    Professor Sir Cyril Burt, former Mensa World President and one of the world's leading psychologists at the time, is famous for his twin studies, in which he discovered that the correlation between the IQs of identical twins reared apart was an enormous 0.77, which almost irrefutably supports a large genetic influence on IQ. Burt’s result was heavily attacked for decades - until it was confirmed in 1990 by the University of Minnesota, who conducted an even more detailed study and found the correlation to be 0.78.
    Today, whilst psychologists recognize that both genetics and the environment play a role in determining intelligence, the focus is on determining exactly how much of an influence each factor has. Numerous studies on twins suggest that between 40 and 80 percent of the variance in IQ is linked to genetics, suggesting that genetics may play a larger role than environmental factors in determining an individual’s IQ.
    It is important to note, however, that genetics and the environment interact to determine exactly how inherited genes are expressed. A child may be born with genes for high intelligence, but if that child grows up in a deprived environment where he/she is malnourished and lacks access to mental stimulation, the child may not score well on measures of IQ."

User

My doubt comes from the figure used. An IQ of 83 and less is recognised in the USA as not clever enough to do even the most basic work in the army. Then to be told that Southern Africa has an IQ of 13 point less than that. Forgive me for thinking that something might be wrong with the data.

To say a country has an IQ of 70 means that 90% of the population has an IQ of between 55 to 85. So, 90% of South Africans should have problems using technology like ATM's, smartphones and computers. At least half of them should not be able to learn to tie their shoes. From actual observation, that is not correct.

One thing that is clear to me is that education of our children is not as good as elsewhere. And from observation, that is similar to the rest of Africa. To me it does not point to a genetic defect; more to a failure of education. And that is mostly dependent on culture in my opinion.

User

Still, I have no dog in this fight, just pointing out genetics being part of IQ is a proven thing, along with many other aspects.

So can we please leave this alone now, what good does this do debating it among ourselves, do we want to prove people don't need anything they can act stupid by themselves?

Nah, case closed, nothing to see here.

User

Sad that this has become a race argument. But I do recognize the point of the initial post that sectors of our current government have become more and more like old school communists in the way that they exert themselves. I found the book "Wild Swans: Three daughters of China" , a great read to get insight into the mentality of the way people think under these stuggle/post struggle circumstances.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: LIFE AND DEATH IN SHANGHAI ( South Africa )

YOU can also be exclusive ...

https://mensa.org.za/

Membership of Mensa is open to persons who have attained a score within the upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligence test, that has been properly administered and supervised.

Do the walk not the talk ....

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

live out your imagination , not your history.

So the question, Brenneke, is: what are you wearing?

User

"The Toronto team wanted to see how tight and revealing outfits impacted women’s mental agility."

Not nearly as much as how it affects MY mental agility when women wear tight revealing outfits...

Banned

Thumbs down Re: LIFE AND DEATH IN SHANGHAI ( South Africa )

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    So the question, Brenneke, is: what are you wearing?
    LOTS of pain killers ............

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4