Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Firearm storage

User

Default Firearm storage

I would like to know what the law is concerning the storing of a firearm. I have bought a firearm from a private person and he has sent me the application forms for a licence ( SAPD 271) and Permission to store a firearm forms SAPD 539. I have heard that some DFO,s will sign them and others won't. Can someone advise me on this one?

Banned

Default Re: Firearm storage

As far as I know you do need your DFO to sign it. But I could be wrong

User

Yes, your DFO must sign & stamp it.

I haven't done one for a few years but last time I did, the DFO kept a copy and also wrote it up in some sort of storage permiit register. I had to supply a copy of my ID and the firearm owner's ID & licence.

User

Nice of the guy to allow you to store the gun at your place until the licence comes through. Not sure I'd be comfortable doing the same.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Nice of the guy to allow you to store the gun at your place until the licence comes through. Not sure I'd be comfortable doing the same.
    Yes that's true. Bought an AR15 and the guy refused to let me store it even with my DFO speaking to him.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Not sure why this is a issue? A storage permit issued by the SAPS is a legal document and ensures traceability if something goes wrong. Technically when the FA if paid for by the buyer is no longer your property.

User

Treeman (IIRC) wrote an account of a deal where he sold a firearm, gave a storage permit and the new owner never applied. He only found out a few years later. I'd be very careful before doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Graham12 View Post
    Treeman (IIRC) wrote an account of a deal where he sold a firearm, gave a storage permit and the new owner never applied. He only found out a few years later. I'd be very careful before doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In those days the DFO's were not required to keep copies of the permits. Now they do. A permit also have a period of validity, so follow up and verify that the buyer is keeping up his side of the deal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Not sure why this is a issue? A storage permit issued by the SAPS is a legal document and ensures traceability if something goes wrong. Technically when the FA if paid for by the buyer is no longer your property.
    I dunno. It's a thing that springs to mind. "Hell no" is actually what comes up. The story by Treeman is a great reason why. I mean, what if the guy buys the gun, stores it and never applies? Or dies and the gun goes (unlicensed to the person) into an estate? Too many questions. I honestly think though this is a case of "not knowing" that's making me worry. Knowing that SAPS keeps records and that you're not legally liable for the gun if the permit gets granted and the other guy takes the gun does help actually.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    In those days the DFO's were not required to keep copies of the permits. Now they do. A permit also have a period of validity, so follow up and verify that the buyer is keeping up his side of the deal.
    I have some firearms in my safe with storage permits and not once did the DFO request copies to be kept with him. This from more than 2 dfo's.

I had one DFO demand that I collect the firearm from the current owner and then take the firearm to him for inspection before he signs the permit(yes I shit you not. I asked him what will happen if I get caught with the firearm without a permit and he reckons I just inform them(the SAPS officer) that he gave me permission).

I got in my car and drove to the other DFO in town and she signed and stamped it without any issue. She just warned me that I should not let her catch me with the firearm other than in my safe or she will lock me up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast