Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Firearm storage

User

Default Re: Firearm storage

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    I have some firearms in my safe with storage permits and not once did the DFO request copies to be kept with him. This from more than 2 dfo's.

I had one DFO demand that I collect the firearm from the current owner and then take the firearm to him for inspection before he signs the permit(yes I shit you not. I asked him what will happen if I get caught with the firearm without a permit and he reckons I just inform them(the SAPS officer) that he gave me permission).

I got in my car and drove to the other DFO in town and she signed and stamped it without any issue. She just warned me that I should not let her catch me with the firearm other than in my safe or she will lock me up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    The DFO that signs off the permit is required to keep a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

When I bought a pistol from a guy, I got a permit to store. The dfo kept a copy, I gave the previous owner a copy and I kept a copy in my safe.

User

Thank you to everyone for your input. Is there somewhere in the Firearms Control Act which relates to Storage of a firearm and SAPD 539? The woman at the DFO's office here in Port Alfred said that they do not sign 539s.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Savan View Post
    Thank you to everyone for your input. Is there somewhere in the Firearms Control Act which relates to Storage of a firearm and SAPD 539? The woman at the DFO's office here in Port Alfred said that they do not sign 539s.
    On what grounds are the refusing to sign? They seem to make up their own rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

She said that I should go back on Monday and speak to the DFO but said he would not sign it because the 539 is for specific reasons only which she did not elaborate on. I personally have sold two firearms where the buyers have had 539s signed and then sent them the weapons.

User

Hi all. I am still non the wiser. Those of you who applied for a permit to be signed and stamped were all successful but I am still not clear if it is my right to have it signed. I do not want to make too many waves at the local DFO in case he decides to delay or even lose my licence application. If he refuses to sign can I go higher?

User

Prohibition of unlicensed trading in firearms or ammunition
    31. (1) No person may trade in any firearm or ammunition without a dealer’s licence.
    (2) Subject to subsection (3), a person who is not a dealer may dispose of a firearm or ammunition only through a dealer or as otherwise provided for in this Act.
    (3)A person who wishes to sell or donate a firearm to a willing buyer or donee, as the case may be, may do so without the intervention of a dealer, but on such conditions as the Designated Firearms Officer may determine.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Savan View Post
    She said that I should go back on Monday and speak to the DFO but said he would not sign it because the 539 is for specific reasons only which she did not elaborate on. I personally have sold two firearms where the buyers have had 539s signed and then sent them the weapons.
    I have heard that some DFO's only accept a few chosen reasons for the storage. Like most most firearm matters there doesn't seem to be any consistency & rules can be made up as they go along. This apparently all stemmed from a directive several years ago (which I never saw, so maybe it can even be regarded it as hearsay) which reputedly said that the only acceptable reason for a DFO to approve a storage permit would be if the owner/seller no longer had suitable storage facilities.

Last time I got a storage permit was a few years ago but I always filled in the same reason, which was words to the effect of: " Mr X no longer has a safe in which to store the firearm as he is selling all his firearm related equipment. Firearm will be stored by Mr Y until such time as the buyer's licence has been approved".

I just didn't specifically mention that Mr Y was the buyer.

If the DFO won't sign it, I wouldn't go higher (others might). I would get it booked into storage at my local gunshop. It's not that expensive and it's "tidy". It just avoids any issues or bad vibes.

Tell us where you are and maybe someone can refer you to a friendly gunshop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2