Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Shooting on Small Farms

Re. The geese. Last time I checked, they not a protected species. There may be a "season" in which they may be hunted- check Gauteng legislation in this regard. You may hunt anything on your own property that is not protected. This applies in respect of farms that fall outside of city limits or so-called "built-up areas". Make sure of this. You can also get good info from SA Wingshooters Ass.

Re. Neighbours and noise: Rural areas are generally not subject to noise regulations. Conservancies are not legal entities and have no say in what you do on your own property. OCCASIONAL target shooting is perfectly legal provided its done in a safe manner and direction with a safe backstop (as stated by Adoons). Notify neighbors/ farm watch/ security out of courtesy, but they cannot prevent you from doing it. Just be careful not to create the impression that you have built a shooting range for use by yourself and others. That opens up a whole new can of worms!

Always be aware that most people are ignorant of the law in this regard, and no matter what you do, they will kick up as much fuss as they can. To quote CorditeCrazy "Fukkem"!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    You may shoot there, but be sure of shooting only in a safe direction and be sure of your backstop or where roads or other houses are. My neighbor has a clay pigeon shooting range about 800 meters from my house and sometimes when they are shooting the shot pellets can be heard falling on my roof. What I am trying to say is to not shoot in the direction of a road where pedestrians might have shot falling on them.

I will also deem it needed to inform your neighbours if and when you are shooting just so that they know it is not a farm attack or the like. They don't have to know everything on your private property. In our area we just send a whatsapp on our community group stating that you will be shooting during the day.

If shooting with a rifle I myself always are checking the direction and backstop. The farm is not small, but a public road, a shop and 4 neighboring houses and storerooms are all in a space of about 1 square km. I certainly don't want to have an accident happening. It is difficult to to not shoot a Mynah with the .22 from the top of a tree, but things like that I don't do. What is I miss? Where will the bullet end up?

Be sensible and courteous towards close neighbors and enjoy your farm and shooting on it. And bugger them if they want to interfere.
    Everything you said is sensible, but clay target shooters dropping shot on your roof from 800?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    Everything you said is sensible, but clay target shooters dropping shot on your roof from 800?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    I could believe it....I have done a number of driven shoots where shot has rained onto us from a long way off.....Granted not #7.5s but with a good, stiff breeze and a high "lofting" shot, that stuff can travel far.

User

“A French ballistics expert, General Journee, years ago worked out a formula to the effect that the maximum range in yards equals 2200 times the shot diameter in inches. When the gun is held at a horizontal position or only slightly elevated, this formula gives the maximum range of shot sizes as shown below.

No. 2 - 330 yards

No. 4 - 286 yards

No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards

No. 8 - 198 yards”
    https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=39999

User

The guys who reclaim the shot at clay pigeon clubs usually mine it at 275-350m. This is mostly 7.5's

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    The guys who reclaim the shot at clay pigeon clubs usually mine it at 275-350m. This is mostly 7.5's
    We mine the bulk of the shot in front of our trap, trench and skeet ranges from 170 to 210 meters, going out to 250, there are so little shot, that it is not even worthwhile and that is with the ground sloping slightly down from the ranges. We mostly have a wind that comes from slightly right and behind the guns.
    What I find interesting is the larger shot that is also recovered in this same zone.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I will measure the exact distance on Google Earth and report back. It only happens sometimes. Maybe with large shot? I have not checked what rolls from the roof.

User

710 meters

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    710 meters
    There may be guys playing around with SSG or LG on the range. That is really dangerous and can easily take out an eye or worse. If you can confirm that it is shotgun pellets the range owners should know about it. Public liability claim waiting to happen.

User

They know. We are good neighbors and we sort things out in a decent way between ourselves. The first time it happened I went to visit there the following day and explained that shot was dropping on my roof. We just agreed that they will inform me when planning to shoot. We just stay indoors during that time. They don't shoot for extended periods. It cost them money and trouble to build their private range. I am not going to spoil anybodies shooting sport for a few pellets on the roof once in a while.

When it happens again I am going to ask what shot have been used. Probably here and there visitors or themselves use some SSG for some or other reason.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast