Default Side berm construction options

At our new range we still need to build the individual handgun shooting bays. The big question is what material we are going to use. We have large volumes of earth that can be removed from the enbankment at the "closed end" of the ranges, but there are concerns about stones and rocks that will create a ricochet hazard.

The following other options were discussed:

Cement block or concrete walls: My problem with these is that it severly limits the direction in which you can shoot so I am of the opinion that this allone is not an option.

Old tyres: I have seen this used on many ranges, but want to get feedback as to its suitability especially as far is ricochets and pass-through shots are concerned. Obviously the ryres will have to be filled with earth, but I am always concerned about cavities being left that leaves an opening for a bullet to pass through. An option would be to have a solid wall (cement, concrete or earth) in the centre with tyres on the outsides.

Then something that may be quite new ... building the earth or even concrete walls and then cladding it with conveyor belt. The Mill has huge volumes of belt that they need to dispose of on a fairly frequent basis that can be used.

I would like feedback on these issues as well as any other practical sollutions that we may not have considered.

User

Default Re: Side berm construction options

Hi Optimistix
    Depends on how much space you are willing to "sacrifice" to create the berms.

when considering earth berms, plan carefully the location and angle of the berms w.r.t drainage , Roodeport was re-done recently and since then we have had a number of match days cancelled due to persistant mud (doesn't help that the majority of the sand is mine dump material which refuses to allow grass to grow)

if you can get up to Gauteng I recommend a visit to Magnum United Range (PTA East) - they have a OMG setup there using filled Tyres PM Ross for details

I am also in progress with a range and it seems tyres are the best option , its easier to move should you later need to change things on the range

Magnum United Range (PTA East)
    I will defenitaly try to do that ... where exactly are they located?

So let's talk more detail ... how do you go about building the berms? Die you stack the tyres in rows of three or four and simply fill it up with earth as you go higher, do you start with a wide base and gradually taper as you go higher or what method have you found works best?

Any problems with ricochets from these tyre berms?

Optimistix;
    I poured earthern berms where they were needed, with a wide flat top, then packed truck tyres on top of the berms and filled them with soil. That way you have good solid soil berms and the tyres on top give you more height / safety factor between ranges. I have also packed LDV / passenger car tyres at the bottom of the berms, also filled with soil to hold back the eroding soil from the berms. This cuts down on the cost of earthmoving equipment to lift berms annually and the berms don't encroach on available shooting area on the ranges. when the bottom tyres get shot out it is easy to replace the few that need replacing.

There is only one way to build walls / berms with tyres......the hard way! It is labour intensive. Pack one row of tyres, fill and compact them by hand, pack another row of tyres (of the same size) and repeat until you reach the height you require.

On ranges where we didn't have the option of soil for the bottom portion we stacked a double row of truck tyres, offset, so that there are no gaps between stacks of tyres. haven't found a calibre yet that penetrates two 1100 x 20 truck tyres packed with earth!

With regards to richochets, the smallest calibre allowed in the kill house is .38 spl / 9mm and no 12g. The shot from the shotguns comes off the tyres.... great sting on the legs, etc. and the smaller calibres don't penetrate the packed tyres and tend to buzz around.

feel free to come have a look at magnum if you want clarification. Send me a PM and I'll mail a map to you.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.