Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Breaking News: Hunting open over Provincial borders

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein L View Post
    We can and I did. Had a fantastic day shooting ducks and geese today. Beautiful
    weather. My Labrador had three retrieves about 60 - 70 meters on the dam. The whole
    day he was wet, covered in mud and the happiest I have ever seen him.

User

Beste SA Jagters-lede
    Regulasies vir Vlak 3 van die Covid-19 Inperking: Jag
    Na verskeie persverklarings wat gedurende die afgelope week uitgereik is, is die amptelike regulasies wat betrekking het op jag vir vlak 3 amptelik op Vrydag, 5 Junie 2020 deur die Departement Omgewing, Visserye en Bosbou gepubliseer. Kliek hier.
    Volgens die regulasies is benuttingsjag, waarvan die hoofdoel die verkryging van wildsvleis vir eie gebruik is, toelaatbaar.
    Ingevolge regulasie 33(4), is jag deel van wildlewebestuursdienste en mag jagters oor distrik-, metro- en provinsiale grense reis onderhewig aan gesondheidsprotokolle vir bv. die aantal persone per voertuig en die dra van maskers in openbare plekke. Die grondeienaar moet `n permit uitreik aan elke persoon wat vir die doel reis. Kliek hier
    Die jagter is ook verantwoordelik vir die nodige provinsiale jaglisensies soos die onderskeie provinsies in hulle ordonnansies bepaal. Sien artikel hiervir meer duidelikheid daaroor.
    Die jagter mag slegs oorslaap by die jagbestemming.
    Die grondeienaar van die jagbestemming is verantwoordelik vir die handhawing van gesondheidsprotokolle soos wat die regulasies vereis bv. monitering van besoekers en personeel, voorsiening van ontsmettingmiddels en die deeglike skoonmaak van geriewe tussen jagte. Sien `n voorbeeld van die voorgestelde kontrolelys hier.
    Die jagter mag die wildsvleis vanaf die jagbestemming na sy/haar huis vervoer met die nodige toestemmingsdokument kliek hier. Let wel, sekere provinsies vereis spesiale permitte vir die vervoer van wildevark vleis (vlakvark, bosvark). Grondeienaars wat op die SA Jagters se aanlynstelsel geregistreer is of die plaaslike staatsveearts kan hierdie permitte uitreik. Lees gerus meer hier
    Lede kan self al die aangehegte dokumente aflaai en uitdruk soos nodig.
    Geniet die beste nuus van die jaar tot dusver. Onthou volhoubare benutting is bewaring.
    Groetnis
    Boetie Kirchner
    Bestuurder Jagsake

User

Wow never had the opportunity to hunt waterfowl but sounds great glad you and you 4 legged friend could enjoy it

Wow never had the opportunity to hunt waterfowl but sounds great glad you and you 4 legged friend could enjoy it
    Thank you. We have a lot of catching up to do.

045.jpg

048.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Thank you. We have a lot of catching up to do.

045.jpg

048.jpg
    Do us a favor and give us a write up of your hunt as to location, pray, caliber and shot size ext.

I would really enjoy to read about your hunt.

Do us a favor and give us a write up of your hunt as to location, pray, caliber and shot size ext.

I would really enjoy to read about your hunt.
    This was our first outing since the Saturday before lockdown (21 March). On that particular day
    we had an absolute bonanza with pigeons and geese so you can imagine the depths of our
    despair during lockdown.

Most Saturdays we are in the Kruisrivier area between the Elands and Swartkops rivers
    north of Uitenhage where we have access to a number of farms mostly under irrigation
    where the birds like to congregate. From Port Elizabeth it is about a three quarter hour drive
    to the farms. The rivers and dams where the water is pumped from for the lands offer
    excellent shooting either from hides, over decoys or ambush stalking. It is essential to have a
    retriever when hunting the rivers and dams to retrieve the birds.

On Saturday we put the pigeon decoys as well as the rotary in a good spot for my two hunting
    buddies in the ploughed lands while I went walking along the river and dams. Of all the shotguns
    I own my go to gun is my Russian Baikal over under with full and three quarter chokes which has
    never let me down. Made in the late Seventies and hard as nails it doesnt mind getting wet, splattered
    with mud, dragged through reed beds and anything else you would never do to your favourite and
    invariably over priced field gun. A good clean after the hunt on a Sunday morning and you`re good to go.
    I use No 1 - 3 for geese and 4 or 5 for ducks. For pigeons we use 7.5.

I shot three Pochard ducks and a couple of Egyptian geese which my dog retrieved in text book style and
    then returned to my buddies in the lands where they had had no luck at all. After that we moved around a bit
    but as so often happens the birds just vanished.

It was good to be out in the bush and shooting over water again after the lifting of the restrictions. The mandatory braai
    was enjoyed by all along with the superb weather. This was also the first time our group used one of the farms itself which we
    negotiated with the land owner. It is great to have a base with a moderate home, running hot and cold water, an AGA stove
    and ablution facilities as opposed to making do wherever we find ourselves on a particular day. We can also hunt whenever
    we like and enjoy the farm itself.

Our next outing will be on Saturday where I plan to take my Springer Spaniel to hunt for rabbits, guinea fowl and francolin
    in the orchards and lands.

User

Thanks looking forward to more write ups.

My shotgun experience bar three hunts involve pump actions.

Would never have guest that someone with experience rate a Baikal at that level. (Sounds like sound advice thanks)

Will now set my sights "lower" now and might afford my first and only over and under.

Please do more hunting stories.

For those that have gone hunting already.
    What's the protocol with number of people per vehicle?
    Is it still 60% capacity?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DeVilliers View Post
    For those that have gone hunting already.
    What's the protocol with number of people per vehicle?
    Is it still 60% capacity?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    It is 60 %. NHSA newsletter.

Thanks looking forward to more write ups.

My shotgun experience bar three hunts involve pump actions.

Would never have guest that someone with experience rate a Baikal at that level. (Sounds like sound advice thanks)

Will now set my sights "lower" now and might afford my first and only over and under.

Please do more hunting stories.
    I am an enthusiast when it comes to the quality aspect of most things, including guns. I own
    beautiful rifles and shotguns that I haven`t used to hunt with in years but then I have also had guns
    for many years that are in pristine condition. I use them on the shooting range but that`s about it.

My hunting rifle is a cheap Mossberg .308 (it has never let me down) that I look after as best
    I can but the Eastern Cape bush (thicket) can be a real swine to hunt and your rifle will take
    a hammering relative to Savannah and open plains. Almost every animal we shoot has to be carried
    or dragged to the nearest road, up or down mountains, over fist sized stones and through thick
    bush and thorns - and your rifle goes with you. I have been caught in driving rain and hail in the
    mountains around Grahamstown a few times and I have long since given up on trying to keep
    the dogs away from me and my rifle when they are wet and full of mud on the back of the bakkie.

Perhaps to the purists my reasons are flawed but for me it is a practical issue because the rough hunting
    is the fun part. Scratching and otherwise damaging a beautiful rifle in the bush is sacrilegious.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast