Default Sig Sauer closing Eckernforde facility

https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/sig-sauer-to-shutter-german-weapons-factory/a-53689378 I guess that's the end of the line for those fine X-series pistols...

Default Re: Sig Sauer closing Eckernforde facility

State side facility stays open

From what I understand we get our guns state side

Quote Originally Posted by afzals1 View Post
    State side facility stays open

From what I understand we get our guns state side
    True that, I meant the P226 X5 and X6. Don't get them here but sad that they won't be made again unless the tooling and mastershop staff move to the US.

User

I stand to be corrected (a lot) but I don't think any of our SIG's have come from Germany over the last couple of years. It's all been from the Exeter factory.

I haven't read up on this just yet but I gather at this point this closing is mostly symbolic. No real impact to the availability of guns, parts etc.

User

I obviously have no idea what actions they took to end up in this sad situation, but unless you're someone like Kalashnikov concern, FN or H&K, most modern arms manufacturers are either relatively small and/or manufacture other non-firearm related goods. The correct expertise is expensive to keep and idle equipment is lost productivity, so it's not uncommon to find weird products like Messerschmidt branded sewing machines, SIG making food packaging and Izhmash making motorcycles.

User

The most significant contributor to the closure is likely the German gubbermunt's gun export policies. The domestic market in Germany is also not likely to sustain any gun manufacturer.

User

Indeed. Wonder how much longer HK can hold out for. As I have it, they've been attempting to move IP from Germany to the US for some time now but have been blocked by the German government.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Indeed. Wonder how much longer HK can hold out for. As I have it, they've been attempting to move IP from Germany to the US for some time now but have been blocked by the German government.
    The designers should just do what their predecessors did at the end of WW2; escape over the border (to pick a free country) with the blueprints.