So, I've seen a few guys on the forum mention that they would like to own and use dashcams in their cars for everyday driving, but it seemed that they are a tad expensive. I just received an email from an online store I sometimes buy from with their specials on it and it seems that Genius has entered the dashcam market. Cheaply.

I found two models, one for R449,95 and one for R1,299,95. Both prices exclude shipping, includes tax and is on special until the 9th of August.

The cheaper model allows recording up to 1280x960 (more than HD quality) with memory card support up to 32GB. Automatically starts recording when the car is switched on and has a 120-degree viewing angle. Also has a battery so that you can continue using it even if the car dies or the power fails. Fitted to the windscreen with a suction cup and transfers to PC with a normal USB cable. It has infra-red lighting for night-time driving.

The more expensive model is basically the same but allows for full HD recording and has an LED lighting system instead of IR. I think I prefer IR as is won't affect visibility inside the car like LED does. It does have a slightly wider viewing angle at 128 degrees and has a G-sensor to protect data in the event of a crash. What I love most is the use of the new H.264 codec, allowing smaller video size at higher resolutions.

Sorry, I'll stop. Used to reviewing things. Anyway, just thought you'd like to know. Some of you. If you're interested. In any way.

Oh, and the store is very reliable. Not extremely fast, but they are reliable and easy to work with.