Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Schmeisser vs Oberland arms 5.56

Hi Guys,

Long time, been living in Austria for the last 2yrs and its time to get a semi auto rifle!

Some of these were discussed at length and Khumba was importing them a few yrs back as far as I read but not much has been said about them lately.. My options are Schmeisser, Oberland Arms or Hera arms with either 14.5 or 16.75 inch barrels.

prices are 'almost' the same and availability is easier for the first two and even more so for OA but I think they are both well supported here.
    Comparing these two is quite hard as they are very similar build qualities as I am lead to believe however there are a few slight differences that some of you may be able to shed some light on.

I am leaning towards the Schmeisser as it seems to have a higher finish and comes with aluminium furniture opposed to the OA. However its barrel is a 1:9 compared to 1:8 of the OA. the bullets I can primarily get my hands on will be 55gr and up.
    Would the 55gr's suit a 1:9 barrel?

is the Schmeisser worth the R2-3k more in build and feel?

User

Default Re: Schmeisser vs Oberland arms 5.56

We haven't had Schmeisser for years, but they were good guns.

OA we never had in SA IIRC.

My AR has a 1:9 barrel twist and I've never struggled with 55gr stuff (pmp, norinco, hornady)

As long as they are DI guns it's really just a coin toss.

User

Thanks for the information Captain, strange as they are all thats available here. obviously different laws affect dfferent areas. We're awaiting a call from the EU in Sept regarding semi's which should be interesting... :/

Yes they're both DI, will have to give them a feel and see what fits best!

forgot to mention that it will be mainly used for target as I have to do an additional license for hunting which is not on the cards yet.

User

In that case try get a rifle length barrel and gas system. Softer recoil impulse.

The Schmeisser is very well put together in terms of fit and finish. I would rate it ahead or equal to the very best that I have seen. Whoever assembled mine certainly took care with one rather important exception. They failed or chose not to notice the broken hammer J hook when they assembled the rifle.It was I think a Rock River Arms trigger that they were then using in the ultramatch. This aside I still rate them. I have no experience with OA. The Colts are still my preference. Just not quite as pretty.

User

Thanks guys,

@captain I would be interested in doing 3gun eventually(think I need 16inch for that?)
    And standing and prone target shpoting for fun so therefore am more inclined to the shorter setups. Or is the the wrong way of thought?

@FN that's not good to hear about your trigger, thankfully the rifle itself was/is decent! I'll double check everything before taking delivery- hopefully I'll be able to fire a few shots through them before making my decision.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
    Thanks guys,

@captain I would be interested in doing 3gun eventually(think I need 16inch for that?)
    And standing and prone target shpoting for fun so therefore am more inclined to the shorter setups. Or is the the wrong way of thought?

@FN that's not good to hear about your trigger, thankfully the rifle itself was/is decent! I'll double check everything before taking delivery- hopefully I'll be able to fire a few shots through them before making my decision.
    14.5" is your friend there. Shorter, lighter, easier transition and you don't loose a lot in MV.

Ditch the trigger and get a Gisele

User

I have a Schmeisser M5F (16 inch mid length gas system with A2 front sight). It is a very well (superbly) built and finished rifle. If I could, I would get another one TODAY.

The factory furniture I replaced with Magpul OEM. The only issue I had was the trigger that would "double" if I reset / released it in a specific way. I replaced it with a Geiselle ACT and it is a huge improvement. It is easy to make fast hits, and the gun is silly accurate.

Get the Schmeisser! I use mine for 3gun. 16 inch barrel is just as handy as a shorter tube, but with less recoil and blast.

Get the Schmeisser...

User

Talking Re: Schmeisser vs Oberland arms 5.56

Thanks again guys,

I will give the 14 and 16inch setups a try and feel what's most comfortable.
    And definitely look into the Geiselle triggers(or comparable)
    Good to know that these guns are liked, at their price tag I only want to buy once!

M43 - I am looking at the M4/M5 FL version so should be similar to yours but with pop up sights.

Hopefully will own one in the next week's and will post here for all to see :D

User

Subscribe... and some eye candy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast